+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

DLI change

ishan2510

Apr 6, 2021
Hi All,

I have little confusion and hoping to get an answer from the seniors.
I had submitted a webform to change my DLI during my study permit application process. I did not receive acknowledgment for that.

Then my visa got approved. Now I am not sure my visa is approved based on which DLI old one or new one?
When I called IRCC they said my study permit still has an old DLI, but I can able to link both the old as well as new DLI to my online account.

Is it high risk to travel with old LOA since as per IRCC call center agent that is the DLI on my study permit?

Thanks for the answers,
Ishan

firestone45

Star Member
Apr 8, 2017
Hey, I once was in the same situation as yours. Changed DLI while my application was in process. Though I submitted a webform with new LOA and relevant docs. months ago before they issued me PPR still they gave me approval for the previous DLI that too after the class start date so I was not able to travel. To know the answer for which DLI this visa was issued, I applied for GCMS, Then IRCC sent me an email informing me that my previous visa which was issued has been cancelled as I had changed DLI and asked me to wait until a new decision on my application. Then, I understood that IRCC never updated new DLI on my application. Later, when they found that I had changed DLI (when I applied GCMS), they canceled my visa.
I'm still waiting for a decision.

From my personal experience, I would suggest you to travel to Canada immediately rather than scratching your head thinking which DLI the visa is for...
I did that mistake and I'm still here.

Hi All,

I have little confusion and hoping to get an answer from the seniors.
I had submitted a webform to change my DLI during my study permit application process. I did not receive acknowledgment for that.

Then my visa got approved. Now I am not sure my visa is approved based on which DLI old one or new one?
When I called IRCC they said my study permit still has an old DLI, but I can able to link both the old as well as new DLI to my online account.

Is it high risk to travel with old LOA since as per IRCC call center agent that is the DLI on my study permit?

Thanks for the answers,
Ishan

ishan2510

Apr 6, 2021
Thanks for the reply. I have submitted Wenbform to ask about the DLI. do you think that will create a problem?

I am currently enrolled in both of the dli.

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Hey, I once was in the same situation as yours. Changed DLI while my application was in process. Though I submitted a webform with new LOA and relevant docs. months ago before they issued me PPR still they gave me approval for the previous DLI that too after the class start date so I was not able to travel. To know the answer for which DLI this visa was issued, I applied for GCMS, Then IRCC sent me an email informing me that my previous visa which was issued has been cancelled as I had changed DLI and asked me to wait until a new decision on my application. Then, I understood that IRCC never updated new DLI on my application. Later, when they found that I had changed DLI (when I applied GCMS), they canceled my visa.

From my personal experience, I would suggest you to travel to Canada immediately rather than scratching your head thinking which DLI the visa is for...
If you had travelled with that study permit, you would have been denied entry as clearly it was issued on your old LOA, so I think you did the right thing by waiting it out.. This happened to another guy as well here in Dec/Jan. They didn't come back to update us on how long it took for IRCC to issue them new SP.
So with your visa cancelled, did you reapply for your SP or what decision are you waiting for?

firestone45

Star Member
Apr 8, 2017
If you had travelled with that study permit, you would have been denied entry as clearly it was issued on your old LOA, so I think you did the right thing by waiting it out.. This happened to another guy as well here in Dec/Jan. They didn't come back to update us on how long it took for IRCC to issue them new SP.
So with your visa cancelled, did you reapply for your SP or what decision are you waiting for?
Yeh, I have been waiting since this long with no update on my profile. I have decided to withdraw the previous file and apply for a new SP.
But, I'm unsure on how to proceed with the withdrawal and reapply.. Should I wait for a confirmation letter from IRCC after I submit the withdrawal request or I can proceed ahead and put up a new SP application after submission of the withdrawal request through webform on the same day.

As the Fall intake is in another 2 months, I have to get the approval anyhow before that to travel, else I wouldn't be able to travel this year as well...

P.S: I'm reapplying for the same DLI/Same Course this time for which the visa was approved...

The only reason I had to change DLI before is because the course which I wanted to pursue wasn't available for any other intake apart from the FALL.
by the time I received the visa (November mid), the classes had already started for the FALL intake.

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Yeh, I have been waiting since this long with no update on my profile. I have decided to withdraw the previous file and apply for a new SP.
But, I'm unsure on how to proceed with the withdrawal and reapply.. Should I wait for a confirmation letter from IRCC after I submit the withdrawal request or I can proceed ahead and put up a new SP application after submission of the withdrawal request through webform on the same day.

As the Fall intake is in another 2 months, I have to get the approval anyhow before that to travel, else I wouldn't be able to travel this year as well...

P.S: I'm reapplying for the same DLI/Same Course this time for which the visa was approved...

The only reason I had to change DLI before is because the course which I wanted to pursue wasn't available for any other intake apart from the FALL.
by the time I received the visa (November mid), the classes had already started for the FALL intake.
I think you should have reapplied for the SP long time ago already. Isn't your previous file processed and closed? When you log into your GCKey account, what is the status of that application?

firestone45

Star Member
Apr 8, 2017
I think you should have reapplied for the SP long time ago already. Isn't your previous file processed and closed? When you log into your GCKey account, what is the status of that application?
No its not closed yet, it is still in progress...
The status is - Submitted.

They had asked me to wait till the decision has been made on my application which has not yet happened.

ishan2510

Apr 6, 2021

I have submitted webform to ask for the DLI. Do you think it will create an issue same as your case? You had submitted GCMS in your case.

firestone45

Star Member
Apr 8, 2017
I have submitted webform to ask for the DLI. Do you think it will create an issue same as your case? You had submitted GCMS in your case.
Nobody knows the answer to that.

I already asked you to travel asap, no use of waiting and seeing which visa it is for.. You can justify to the CBSA by saying them that you had already informed IRCC about the change and they gonna give u the permit according to the updated info on your file. Just carry all the relevant docs

Reactions: Sabrinatman

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
No its not closed yet, it is still in progress...
The status is - Submitted.

They had asked me to wait till the decision has been made on my application which has not yet happened.
Even after visa stamping and LOI issued? That's interesting. I hope they get back to you soon!

Sabrinatman

Sep 23, 2022
My question is: The writer has updated the new dli before the final decision release which is under the procedure, it’s the ircc‘s fault, and he didn’t know which dli was approved. Why he would be denied by entry?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My question is: The writer has updated the new dli before the final decision release which is under the procedure, it’s the ircc‘s fault, and he didn’t know which dli was approved. Why he would be denied by entry?
Rules have changed since these people posted. Can’t remover the exact time the rules changed but believe it was around this time. It is specified which school was approved and it is the responsibility of the applicant to make sure the correct school was approved. Webforms are not read right away so if the 1st school application process was near completion them the study permit approval was likely for the first school. Have you started studying? Was the approval for the first school? When you landed in Canada what LOA did you show?

Sabrinatman

Sep 23, 2022
Rules have changed since these people posted. Can’t remover the exact time the rules changed but believe it was around this time. It is specified which school was approved and it is the responsibility of the applicant to make sure the correct school was approved. Webforms are not read right away so if the 1st school application process was near completion them the study permit approval was likely for the first school. Have you started studying? Was the approval for the first school? When you landed in Canada what LOA did you show?
Thanks very much. So, does it means if I want to change dli during the application’s processing, it’s better to withdraw it and reapply?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks very much. So, does it means if I want to change dli during the application’s processing, it’s better to withdraw it and reapply?
You can update your application during processing with a new LOA and new SOP if required. If there are other forms that need to be updated they should be updated as well. If you have recently applied for the SP I would withdraw and reapply but if you have been waiting for a few months I would try to submit new documents in the hopes that you won’t have to repeat the waiting time.