+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Discrimination based on ?

Idrissrafd

Aug 12, 2020
Hi,

I just discovered something while being a newcomer in Canada. So apparently, I can't apply for some jobs (that I am qualified for) because PR "can't hold some jobs that need a high-level security clearance". So it means that a Canadian citizen is reputed to be "cleaner" and more "trustworthy" than a PR, just because of his/her citizenship ?

But what is killing me is, I've read in a forum that the government/gov-services make a difference between a naturalized citizen and a Canadian Citizen (born and raised) for some jobs that require a top-secret security level. Is it true ? In other words, no matters how many years you're living here, you will never be considered as a "real" Canadian ? Am I right ?I've read that in a forum, but I can't find a source for that.

Thanks for your clarification.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,

I just discovered something while being a newcomer in Canada. So apparently, I can't apply for some jobs (that I am qualified for) because PR "can't hold some jobs that need a high-level security clearance". So it means that a Canadian citizen is reputed to be "cleaner" and more "trustworthy" than a PR, just because of his/her citizenship ?

But what is killing me is, I've read in a forum that the government/gov-services make a difference between a naturalized citizen and a Canadian Citizen (born and raised) for some jobs that require a top-secret security level. Is it true ? In other words, no matters how many years you're living here, you will never be considered as a "real" Canadian ? Am I right ?I've read that in a forum, but I can't find a source for that.

That's not accurate. I know two people who hold top security clearance jobs who are naturalized. However I do believe there is a requirement for the government to be able to verify your last 10 years of history (or maybe it's 15?). This is hard to do for some countries where records are badly kept, not available or where the government doesn't share with Canada. I think one of my friends had to wait an extra few years to get top level clearance because of this.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi,

What level of security clearance do you want. There are different levels? Not all levels of security clearance require citizenship. The top level (enhanced) would require citizenship because you are in a position of authority (military position as en example). For most jobs, you need level 1 not level 4. Level 1 doesn’t require citizenship.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,

For the record, you can even be Prime Minister of Canada without being born here (although you do need to have citizenship). So immigrants even have access to the top job (unlike in the US).

Reactions: Idrissrafd

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
What level of security clearance do you want. There are different levels? Not all levels of security clearance require citizenship. The top level (enhanced) would require citizenship because you are in a position of authority (military position as en example). For most jobs, you need level 1 not level 4. Level 1 doesn’t require citizenship.
OP's question is regarding top level clearance and whether you need to be a Canadian-born citizen to get it (i.e. not accessible to naturalized citizens).

Idrissrafd

Aug 12, 2020
The job that I am applying for has this condition :

CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT

• Possess or eligible to obtain Secret security clearance;
  • Linguistic profile: Bilingual BBB"​

• So I don't know what level is it, and if a PR can be eligible.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The job that I am applying for has this condition :

• CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
    • Possess or eligible to obtain Secret security clearance;
    • Linguistic profile: Bilingual BBB"

• So I don't know what level is it, and if a PR can be eligible.​
For CBSA, under secret security clearance,
  • information on your citizenship status, which may include:
    • certificate number and date of issue, if you are a naturalized Canadian
    • date of entry in Canada, if you are a landed immigrant
    • date you applied for citizenship, if you are not a Canadian citizen
This means they will consider if you are a PR!

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/job-emploi/security-securite/apply-demander-2-eng.html#s2