+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Disabled, need to renew pr card

321tanya

Nov 10, 2022
Hi,
I have neuromuscular disease currently can't walk, use hands, nor see clearly; in other words I'm bedridden.
I really need to renew pr card which expired 11/07/2022. There is NO WAY I could fill out a renewal form let alone find, copy, send a hard copy of the requirements. I can't go to a photographer. I don't have people to do this for me, Please Help!
I'm hoping to be able to do this online. They have my documents from 4 years ago. Don't they keep them? What about a notarized selfie as a temporary measure?

P.S. Stay safe - I just got over COVID - were going intubate but didn't b/c recovered in sev days! I had the 4 vaccines.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,
I have neuromuscular disease currently can't walk, use hands, nor see clearly; in other words I'm bedridden.
I really need to renew pr card which expired 11/07/2022. There is NO WAY I could fill out a renewal form let alone find, copy, send a hard copy of the requirements. I can't go to a photographer. I don't have people to do this for me, Please Help!
I'm hoping to be able to do this online. They have my documents from 4 years ago. Don't they keep them? What about a notarized selfie as a temporary measure?

P.S. Stay safe - I just got over COVID - were going intubate but didn't b/c recovered in sev days! I had the 4 vaccines.
There is a online portal which you can renew online. But you still need upload both sides of your photograph.

https://prson-srpel.apps.cic.gc.ca/en/login

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Glad you recovered from cvoid. Just to note that if you do not expect or plan to travel, there are very few circumstances in which you'd need the PR card at all. (I can't think of any offhand really, possibly renewing health card in some provinces).

I don't mean this to imply you should not renew it, but you can put it at lower priority and concentrate on other matters, so take care.

(There are ways for form to be completed and photograph to be done at home eg digitally I believe, but not an expert. Honestly easiest way would be for someone to help you complete the form and submit. If eligible you may wish to submit citizenship app at same time)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

321tanya

Nov 10, 2022
Glad you recovered from cvoid. Just to note that if you do not expect or plan to travel, there are very few circumstances in which you'd need the PR card at all. (I can't think of any offhand really, possibly renewing health card in some provinces).
Thanx for reply
I feel better with it - it does serve as ID in many places. Health card [no pic], banks etc.
I don't mean this to imply you should not renew it, but you can put it at lower priority and concentrate on other matters, so take care.
Good to know
(There are ways for form to be completed and photograph to be done at home eg digitally I believe, but not an expert. Honestly easiest way would be for someone to help you complete the form and submit. If eligible you may wish to submit citizenship app at same time)
I thought of that. Asked re: Ontario ID who said no to a notarized digital photo. IMO it is WRONG not allow those who cannot go to photographer another option. There are more and more housebound people.
Thanx

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thanx for reply
I feel better with it - it does serve as ID in many places. Health card [no pic], banks etc.
If you don't have another ID handy, can understand that. I would note that it can depend on the place and the reason they're asking - bottom line is that many will accept an expired PR card (or many other IDs that are expired), because they're not requiring it for a statutory reason, but only for their own comfort. (In other words, to convince them that you-are-you. They don't need to know you're a licensed driver, etc). Of course the average teller or cashier might not knwo that and decide they need a current [whatever] document.

If anyone gives you a hard time (while you're in process), ask to see the manager.

I thought of that. Asked re: Ontario ID who said no to a notarized digital photo. IMO it is WRONG not allow those who cannot go to photographer another option. There are more and more housebound people.
What Ontario requires is not necessarily what the feds require. Check the regulations. I think for some of the online apps a digital is fine. And 'a photographer' is not that high a bar anyway.

[That said i'm not up to date on what exactly they're requiring for each type of app]

If you are in a facility with support, ask them to help or if htey know a photographer. They sometimes have connections or a bit of sway with small businesses (i.e. they imply they'll throw business their way in the future).

Good luck.