+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Disability and Public Assistance

Debbie1210

Mar 22, 2014
My boyfriend lives in Canada and I am a US citizen. We want to get married and I am trying to figure out the whole process. I have read so much my brain is on overload at this point and i'm confused. I did read where I cannot work while the process is taking place and he has to support me. It says no public assistance but he is on disability. Does that count. Would we still be able to get married. Please help me with this process. Could I work in Canada after we are married and i am trying to establish perm. residency? I understand why this is so complicated but I just want to be there with him. Help please. Is there a guide line to look at something a little less confusing.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
He can not sponsor if he is on public assistance for any reason *other than* disability so if he is on disability, it is ok.

If money is tight, you can marry him and he can sponsor you outland, that means you can stay in the US and work while you wait to get your PR. You can of course visit him during the wait if you want to. It should take around 10 months, give or take.

There is no work permit for spouses unless you apply inland and only then after your first stage approval which takes around 8 months. During those 8 months, you can't work. If you apply outland, you will have your PR in around 10 so I would rather recommend that.

Debbie1210

Mar 22, 2014
Thank you so much this is all so confusing. So we marry in Canada I live in the US apply for my PR and it will take about 10mths is that what im gathering here? What all will I need to get the PR when living outland? Will he be able to come and visit me as well then? I'm sorry for all the questions. I appreciate all the help in advance.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Debbie1210 said:
Thank you so much this is all so confusing. So we marry in Canada I live in the US apply for my PR and it will take about 10mths is that what im gathering here? What all will I need to get the PR when living outland? Will he be able to come and visit me as well then? I'm sorry for all the questions. I appreciate all the help in advance.
You can visit him and he can visit you during the wait. If he is a Canadian citizen, he can visit for longer but if he is a PR, he must reside in Canada to sponsor so in that case, he should keep his visits short, couple of weeks at most. You can however visit him for longer.

It takes around 10 months to get the PR after you apply outland but you have to fill out a lot of forms, get police clearances, medicals etc. so there is a bit of work you have to put in for that first.

Debbie1210

Mar 22, 2014
Where is the best place to find all the stuff I need to get to make all this happen and to get the ball rolling. Like steps to take and when to start them. What all i'm going to need. I have seen several but they all seem a bit different. I want to make sure i am looking at the right one.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can find the application forms here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp

Some more info here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/spouse-apply-how.asp