+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Diligence of Law Enforcement upon Summary offences in Canada

Jul 29, 2019
I have a rather difficult question to ask.
How diligently do Canadian law enforcement agencies such as local police and RCMP enforce laws upon summary offenses (petty offenses) such as petty theft, stalking, criminal harassment, simple assault, in comparison with the U.S. agencies?

I tried to do some research online but found a lot of horror stories that due to some reasons such as court backlogs, charges for summary offenses such as petty theft are often dropped altogether. I am not sure how much I should trust such news.

I am sure the level of diligence depends on locality and type of offenses. If you, the reader, would provide some insights such as personal experience, I would much appreciate it.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
How diligently do Canadian law enforcement agencies such as local police and RCMP enforce laws upon summary offenses (petty offenses) such as petty theft, stalking, criminal harassment, simple assault, in comparison with the U.S. agencies?

I tried to do some research online but found a lot of horror stories that due to some reasons such as court backlogs, charges for summary offenses such as petty theft are often dropped altogether. I am not sure how much I should trust such news.

I am sure the level of diligence depends on locality and type of offenses. If you, the reader, would provide some insights such as personal experience, I would much appreciate it.
Not sure why you are asking such a random question. This happens in the US as well. Cases are often settled for lesser charges or dropped if there isn’t enough evidence.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013

Also, be aware that some "summary" offences are actually "hybrid" offences, and for immigration purposes treated as the more serious "indictable" offences instead.

Jul 29, 2019
Also, be aware that some "summary" offences are actually "hybrid" offences, and for immigration purposes treated as the more serious "indictable" offences instead.
I was not asking for immigration but for my concern about the effectiveness of the rule of law in Canada.

But thank you for your time.

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
If you are coming from the US not sure why you’d be worried about safety and the rule of law in Canada.:)
Yep! Mass shootings? Nah, don't have those here bud!

Reactions: kast29
Jul 29, 2019
Yep! Mass shootings? Nah, don't have those here bud!
I would not be so confident.
École Polytechnique massacre
Air India Flight 182
Toronto van attack
Etc

Anyway this may be digressing. I am more concerned about petty offense as indicators of effectiveness of law enforcement.

Thx for your time.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I would not be so confident.
École Polytechnique massacre
Air India Flight 182
Toronto van attack
Etc

Anyway this may be digressing. I am more concerned about petty offense as indicators of effectiveness of law enforcement.

Thx for your time.
You are referencing two incidents that are over 30 years old. There have been more mass shootings in the mast month or two. Canada is like the US. They don’t solve or charge every minor infraction. Police services don’t have unlimited time.

Reactions: kast29