+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Difficult situation - how long is approval good for?

mala16

Star Member
Apr 13, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 29, 2011
AOR Received.
July 25, 2011
File Transfer...
June 9, 2011 Received in Buffalo
Med's Done....
April 21, 2011
One a happy note, I received a letter in the mail stating a the initial assessment of my application has been completed and personal interview is not necessary. However, I do need to provide original police clearance from each state I have lived in since 18yrs old! That means college (state 1), grad school (state 2), first job (state 3), third job (state 4)!!! Wow seems like a lot of work! How do I even go about obtaining this from states I no longer live in?

However, our situation has changed and we may stay in the U.S. for a while (new job etc). My husband got a great job and something we cannot pass up. So, my main question is...how long is my application good for? After all of the hard work putting the application together and the large sum of money paid already, I don't want it to go to waste. Will I need to reapply in a few years if our situation changes?

Any information would be great! I tried searching for similar posts but had a hard time finding anything similar.

Best!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

mala16 said:
One a happy note, I received a letter in the mail stating a the initial assessment of my application has been completed and personal interview is not necessary. However, I do need to provide original police clearance from each state I have lived in since 18yrs old! That means college (state 1), grad school (state 2), first job (state 3), third job (state 4)!!! Wow seems like a lot of work! How do I even go about obtaining this from states I no longer live in?

However, our situation has changed and we may stay in the U.S. for a while (new job etc). My husband got a great job and something we cannot pass up. So, my main question is...how long is my application good for? After all of the hard work putting the application together and the large sum of money paid already, I don't want it to go to waste. Will I need to reapply in a few years if our situation changes?

Any information would be great! I tried searching for similar posts but had a hard time finding anything similar.

Best!
1. Here is the list of states: http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/detroit/offices-bureaux/certificates-certificat.aspx?lang=eng
2. You have to "land' 1 year from the date of the medical.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
My husband had to obtain 4 state certificates as well. He obtained all four from Canada. It was easy. Just follow the link provided by PMM.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
You could continue with the current application, then 'land'. Once you land and get your PR card, you don't actually have to stay in Canada. You have to stay in Canada for 2 years out of every 5 to keep your PR status, but a PR who is living with his or her Canadian citizen spouse in another country can count this time as part of the 2 years. So you could land, become a PR, then go live with your husband in the USA.

alf+jlh

Aug 28, 2011
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 6, 2012
AOR Received.
CIC-M:Feb 21, 2012
File Transfer...
Mar 21, 2012
Med's Done....
Dec 16, 2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
June 14, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
July 13, 2012
LANDED..........
July 26, 2012
A side question for someone.... is it a must requirement to submit state criminal checks or will the FBI do unless the government asks you for it?

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
alf+jlh said:
A side question for someone.... is it a must requirement to submit state criminal checks or will the FBI do unless the government asks you for it?
FBI check. State checks only if CIC asks for them.

saralune

Star Member
Mar 17, 2009
Visa Office......
lima
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-2009
Doc's Request.
11-2011
Med's Request
15-11-2011
Med's Done....
17-11-2011
Interview........
02-11-2011
Passport Req..
15-11-2011
VISA ISSUED...
09-12-2011, pick up friday !
alf+jlh said:
my husband lived in different country, including US. WE sent in a FBI certificate that was expired,expecting them to ask for a new one later obn and they never asked for a new one, nor for any of the states in which he lived in. WE applied throught Lima, Peru.

mala16

Star Member
Apr 13, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 29, 2011
AOR Received.
July 25, 2011
File Transfer...
June 9, 2011 Received in Buffalo
Med's Done....
April 21, 2011
Thanks for the replies. I am especially intrigued by canadianwoman's post. I will have to research this further and see if I can find some documentation on this. That gives me hope that we this process will still provide the option for us to move to Canada together as a family, even if we are in the US for a few years to come.

I appreciate the link for the police clearances. I will get started right away.

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Conjugal Partner
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
mala16 said:
Thanks for the replies. I am especially intrigued by canadianwoman's post. I will have to research this further and see if I can find some documentation on this. That gives me hope that we this process will still provide the option for us to move to Canada together as a family, even if we are in the US for a few years to come.

I appreciate the link for the police clearances. I will get started right away.
The documentation for Canadianwoman's post http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5529E2.asp