+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Did I mess up by not claiming my income abroad?

maiaaa861

Mar 10, 2024
I got my PR, did my landing in December 2019, and stayed for only 1 week. I then came back permanently in November 2020, filed taxes for 2020 as I needed the tax assessment to apply for OSAP, and was advised by the financial aid office not to claim anything since I was living and working abroad and I followed that advice. I am looking at the citizenship application and it requires the applicant to list their employment history for the past 5 years which means this '' 2020 income'' will show up when I list my employment for the year 2020. I don't know if this will be a discrepancy, I don't even know if I messed up by not claiming any income! I literally had just spent 7 days in the country with no ties but a checking account. It doesn't make any sense to me that this income should have been taxed, and if it should have, how to rectify this?

Thanks for any guidance or information

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
I got my PR, did my landing in December 2019, and stayed for only 1 week. I then came back permanently in November 2020, filed taxes for 2020 as I needed the tax assessment to apply for OSAP, and was advised by the financial aid office not to claim anything since I was living and working abroad and I followed that advice. I am looking at the citizenship application and it requires the applicant to list their employment history for the past 5 years which means this '' 2020 income'' will show up when I list my employment for the year 2020. I don't know if this will be a discrepancy, I don't even know if I messed up by not claiming any income! I literally had just spent 7 days in the country with no ties but a checking account. It doesn't make any sense to me that this income should have been taxed, and if it should have, how to rectify this?

Thanks for any guidance or information
IRCC will only check if you have filled taxes for 3 years within the 5 year eligibility period.