+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Dependents want to come later

chanchal_s01

Dec 17, 2019
Hi Dear:

I am thinking to apply for express entry program but I have some questions to know about the following:

I have a plan to apply for Canada Immigration (Express Entry/ PNP) alone and after landing there I intend to get my dependents (wife and two child) after at least 1 Year. In between, I would like to settle there arranging job and cope up there since I don't want my babies will be in the challenging period. Please do let me know, Can I do so and...

(i) Is there any process related difficulties if my dependents apply later?
(ii) If they come in Canada later, is there any less PR facility/ revoke facility than others who travel with primary applicants?
(iii) Is there any less facility for the child as well?

Thanks for your cooperation.

Last edited:

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
You will need to declare your family as non accompanying in your application, have them do medicals, and all processes relating to PR.

Once you arrive in Canada and feel confident, you can sponsor them for PR. You will need to remain in Canada to do this and should likely expect that they will not get tourist visas to visit you if they require visas to enter Canada.

The family class PR process may take up to a year.

Reactions: chanchal_s01

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
The only downside is that you will be separated from your family for a while. Of course you can visit for short periods (~3 weeks a year), but the majority of your stay has to be in Canada.

Other than that, there is no difference - a PR is a PR, doesn't matter how you become one (EE or Family Sponsorship).

chanchal_s01

Dec 17, 2019
You will need to declare your family as non accompanying in your application, have them do medicals, and all processes relating to PR.

Once you arrive in Canada and feel confident, you can sponsor them for PR. You will need to remain in Canada to do this and should likely expect that they will not get tourist visas to visit you if they require visas to enter Canada.

The family class PR process may take up to a year.
Can I start processing PR for them from outside Canada or I have to do it once I will be in Canada?
Is there any fixed fund I have to ensure in my account for sponsor them?
Do they have less facility on PR like; Medical, Child, study and other benefits on that case?

Last edited:

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
If you are a PR you can only start applying for their PR while you are in Canada and you must remain in Canada while that is processed.

Until they are PRs, they have no access to health care, etc. They are foreigners.