+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Dependents for divorced student when applying for study permit?

vb1910

Oct 25, 2015
Hi

I am a divorced woman professional in my early 30s and have 11 years of work experience in India. have been accepted into a DLI in Toronto for a 1 year course, which is a graduate certificate course in my field. I chose this course because I want a technical/formal diploma certifying I am qualified in my field academically as well. I have an IELTS score of 8, with above 8 score in individual sections.

I am applying for my study permit and have a few questions:

1. I was divorced 1.5 years ago through mutual consent, after living separately from my ex-husband for 3 years. I have the sole custody of my 4-yr old son and have given my ex-husband visitation rights to my son. My ex-husband is aware that i am planning to go for these studies and is okay with taking my son along for them. He has given me in authorization letter.

2. My mother and father have been supporting me for 4 years with my son's upbringing; I live with them now. I want to bring my mother along so she can help me with my son as he goes to school in Canada (I have talked to the Toronto School Board about his admission and they have agreed). She and I have the money to support our living expenses in Canada.

3. My mother, father and I have visited Canada, USA, UK and other countries in the past as tourists and always came back in time.

Now, as I fill-up my study permit application, I am wondering if the CIC may view me as not a bonafide student. I have every intention to return to India after my course finishes because my family is here. I cannot manage my son without their help. Plus, my divorce was an amicable one and my son and I meet his paternal family as well.

Can anyone advise me on these two aspects, in the light of the facts above?:

1. HOW should I present my case so I show as a bonafide student with ties to my country?
2. Can I include my mother in the same application (I am filling it up online) with my GC key and password? CIC defines family as spouse and dependent children, so now that I do not have a spouse, and live with my parents, can I include my mother in my online application? Or do I create a new GC Key and password for her and fill out her form separately?

I hope I haven't confused you with my post. Any help in this regard will be really appreciated. I HAVE TO APPLY NEXT WEEK AND HAVE VERY LITTLE TIME TO DECIDE HOW TO APPLY. PLEASE HELP.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I'll help with one question.

You cannot include you mother in your application. If your mother wishes to visit Canada - she will need to apply for a visitor visa separately. Note that a visitor visa won't allow her to live in Canada - only visit here temporarily. You should assume it will not be possible for your mother to be here for the entire time you are attending school. It's also possible your mother may not be approved for a visitor visa to Canada. If you cannot manage your son without your mother's assistance, then I would recommend you leave your son in your home country with your parents while you study in Canada - or reconsider coming to Canada to study.