+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Deferinition of refugee

Yorker13

May 27, 2013
Hi
I am canadian citizen living in ottawa.
I want to bring my parents who r now in Somalia, they used to live in UAE, but after they go to retirement they moved to Somalia.
I tried to bring them using supervisa but it was rejected because the officer was convinced they will apply for refugee once they in Canada.
I also dont meet the parent sponsorship requirements.
So my only option is to apply for private sponsorship
I read the conditions for private sponsorship,
I want to know if definition of refugee applies to my parents who we’re living for 30 years in UAE, and now moved to Somalia for the first time ever, and they find it difficult to adopt.
Please let me know what institutions provide private sponsorship in Ottawa.

thank you

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi
I want to bring my parents who r now in Somalia, they used to live in UAE, but after they go to retirement they moved to Somalia.
I tried to bring them using supervisa but it was rejected because the officer was convinced they will apply for refugee once they in Canada.
I want to know if definition of refugee applies to my parents who we’re living for 30 years in UAE, and now moved to Somalia for the first time ever, and they find it difficult to adopt.

thank you
What is their country of citizenship. G5s can only sponsor applicants who are recognized as refugees by either

• the United Nations Refugee Agency (UNHCR) or
  • the government of the country (foreign state) where the refugee lives
If they have lived in UAE for 30 years then I suspect they aren’t refugees. And now returned to Somalia. They have to do one of the above and be classified and accepted as refugees. They have to show persecution in country of citizenship (police/medical reports, emails/letters). If they haven’t been there in over 30 years then they cannot be facing persecution.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi

thank you
Your parents are not refugees based on the information in your post above. To be approved as refugees, your parents must show that their lives are in danger / they are being personally persecuted in their home country. Finding it difficult to adapt does not classify them as refugees.

Yorker13

May 27, 2013
What is their country of citizenship. G5s can only sponsor applicants who are recognized as refugees by either

• the United Nations Refugee Agency (UNHCR) or
  • the government of the country (foreign state) where the refugee lives
If they have lived in UAE for 30 years then I suspect they aren’t refugees. And now returned to Somalia. They have to do one of the above and be classified and accepted as refugees. They have to show persecution in country of citizenship (police/medical reports, emails/letters). If they haven’t been there in over 30 years then they cannot be facing persecution.
I am not applying for G5.
It’s private sponsorship through a community institution like church or a masque

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/refugees/help-outside-canada/private-sponsorship-program/agreement-holders/holders-list.html

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
But your parents are not refugees. What is their country of citizenship? If they haven’t lived in country of citizenship for over 30 years then they aren’t refugees. They need to prove persecution and they lived and worked in UAE for many years and never registered as refugees. What do they have to prove persecution?

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/guide-private-sponsorship-refugees-program/section-2.html#a2.1

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
They r not in UAE anymore
They r in Somalia for over a year now
They are not refugees. Refugees are people who have persecuted/abused etc. in their country of citizenship, and had to flee. Your parents have had 30 years to claim refugee status with UNHCR.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
They r not in UAE anymore
They r in Somalia for over a year now
So just to be super clear, they cannot qualify for private sponsorship while living in Somalia. Again, please do read through the link above in full detail so that you understand the requirements.

Reactions: Naturgrl