+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Dates of Common Law (QSW)

ValeriaS

Sep 19, 2019
Quebec
Hi!

I have following question:
- I was legally separated from my husband since May 01, 2019. In November 2020 we finalized divorce. I moved out in May 01, 2019 - I lived in airbnb, then I flew to my native country and in the end of May 2019 I came back.
- I moved in with my collègue, and we have message history where he suggested to share empty room of his house while I would find new place to live. I didn’t have intention to live with him. I also have a lot of letters from realtors, because I looked for new place and visited different apartments. I also paid rent to my collègue for living there in May/June.
- However in the middle of the June we discovered that we have feelings to each other and decided to live together as a couple. And we are still together.

Now I am filling for my PR under QSW (alone, he is Canadian, not my sponsor or dependant), so I am wondering: what date I should show as start of our common law relationship?
20, May 2020 (year after I physically moved in) or 15, June 2020 (year after we became couple).

I also updated my adresses in first dates of June too, as soon as I realized where I finally will live.

Will it be big mistake if difference in dates of moving in/common law declaration will be 2-3 weeks?

I am filling up background check too and because I officially changed my address from my husband’s place to another in June, I think I need to put June as start day of new address, because in May I lived week in airbnb, 2 weeks I was outside of country and another week I looked for new place, while I lived with my BF, before I officially changed address.

Long story short: I need to know what correct month it will be in background check and common law - May or June.

I would like to put correct dates.

Thank you!

Last edited:

Aeternus

Star Member
Jul 16, 2020
Montreal
Category........
QSW
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
For immigration purposes, It would be better for you to consider that you already started your relationship when you physically moved in.
It would be hard to prove your original intention when you moved in.
If I were you, I would write down May, copy-paste what you just wrote here in a letter of explaination.

Reactions: ValeriaS