Mar 12, 2017
Category........
FSW
AOR Received.
10-05-17
Med's Done....
07-07-2017
Hi all,

Following the pandemic, several US employers are open to allowing employees to work from home (WFH). If a candidate is allowed to WFH and relocates closer to the US-CAN border, can the employee commute daily from Canada to their US WFH location?

Is it possible to do this and if so, what are the potential issues that could arise with this scenario?

Thanks!

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Hi all,

Following the pandemic, several US employers are open to allowing employees to work from home (WFH). If a candidate is allowed to WFH and relocates closer to the US-CAN border, can the employee commute daily from Canada to their US WFH location?

Is it possible to do this and if so, what are the potential issues that could arise with this scenario?

Thanks!
1. There can be only one home. There is no concept of US WFH or Canada WFH.
2. If you are working from an approved location(since you are hitting the border hence encountering immigration daily), there cannot be any issues on commuting.
3. if you are not going by law then there will be issues, that too when encountering immigration every time you cross the border. So forum cannot answer on these wfh thing. Please check with your immigration team.
4. Employers being open for wfh is totally different than cbp allowing you to work from home, that too in US when your home is in Canada(which is why you commute or else there wont be any commuting). So first ask your immigration team if they allow you to work from Canada.

inda

Star Member
Jul 7, 2019
Hi,
Can you suggest.
I have Canada PR and H1B status, my US employer location is 2hrs from border Peace bridge, rainbow, ambassador bridge borders. I need to sponsor my spouse for Canada PR, I am planning to move to Canada. For work I need to come to US every 2 weeks, rest of the time I can work from home. Will I be allowed to cross the border every two weeks for work ? I am planning to get H1B stamping as soon as the appointments are available.

Depending on it I am planning to ask my company or look for a new job in Canada.

Thank you.