+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CV specifics

coggie2k

Jan 4, 2011
Hi all, I am hoping to move to Canada and am in the process of working through the visa and job search, similar to most of us on here.

A bit of background on me just in case it helps…I am 35 and work in Engineering as a Project Manager, I have worked previously for a short time in Canada (not long enough to support my visa) and have visited other areas, I love the country and the people and really have my heart set on making it my home and somewhere I can raise a family.

My main initial questions are regarding CV’s in Canada. I have looked through the sites recommended on here (QSIC etc) and have lots of general information but have some specific details I wonder if anyone could clarify.

I have also noted that my current CV is not too dissimilar to that of the recommended Canadian CV’s, in terms of content etc.

1) How many pages, my UK CV is 2 pages.
2) Layout, other than the personal details can the remaining content be on either page (if more than one page long), currently I have my most recent job on the first page along with personal details and education (giving a one page CV with additional details on page 2).
3) I presume (please do not shoot me) that the spelling needs to be in Canadian, or will employers happily read a CV from an Englishman with English spelling?

Many thanks to you all in advance and I look forward to picking your brains for more information as I come across areas I lack knowledge, and of course I look forward to a new life in Canada

Canadian Career Coach

Star Member
Sep 15, 2010
Toronto, ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Coggie2k,

I work in the HR Consulting industry in Canada, specializing in the Job Search strategies, so I think I can help with your questions. (I also lived in the UK for a time many years ago)

- Typically Canadian resumes are 2 pages. This is the general guideline. People very new in their careers may only have 1 page and the extreme is Senior Executives may have 3 pages, but 2 is the average.

- When I worked in the UK, the resume, or CV as it's often called is sometimes far more detailed with regards to personal information then what we typically have in Canada. Most people don't refer to a resume as a CV here - but it's certainly not a huge error if you do. It just seems that 'some' people see the curriculum vitae, or CV as a posh term for what it really is, a resume.

- the most popular format/style of resume is a 'Chronological' resume. This is detailing for the reader your accomplishments from the most current (page 1) going back in time, which usually carries you over to page 2. It's normally recommended that you keep the main focus on the last 7-10 years of your work experience (if you've worked that long). Of course you want the content to be relevant so if you did drastically different work in the past 5-10 years ago that won't have a direct interest to the reader, you would trim this content area down.

-depending on your target you may also want to consider looking at a 'combination' style resume, as it will help showcase some of your key functional skill sets and helps to organize a long list of accomplishments on any resume. You are able to create functional names that are key words to the reader eg) Strategic Initiatives and then list all of your relevant accomplishments underneath.

- Canadians do 'prefer' to have their spelling used. The most common is using the additional 'u' in words like favour, colour etc. Many people interchange the 's' and 'z’ in words like organization, but there seems to be more forgiveness if you spell is it organisations.

What will be more important is that you effectively use one or the other. Grammar and presentation are very important and slight US/Cdn spelling preferences are often forgiven, however I applaud you in considering this, if it’s not a lot of extra effort use the Canadian spelling preferences.

See this link for examples.

Resume Writing Link
http://careego.com/ResumesLetters/ResumeDevelopment/tabid/98/language/en-CA/Default.aspx#

Combination Style Resume Sample:

http://www.careego.com/Portals/0/PDFs/Combination%20%20Resumes%202010.pdf

Best of luck!!

Cdn28

Star Member
Dec 20, 2010
I've found some of the resume samples on this site fantastic!

It's really important to understand how my resume needs to look and feel for the Canadian market.

coggie2k

Jan 4, 2011
Career Coach,

Many thanks for a very detailed and nicely explained repsonse, I think I am going to modify the spelling to Canadian (hopefully it will be fairly simple using MS Word and double checking after).

I think my resume is almost as per the Canadian preferred layout, having reviewed the different styles on careergo, so fingers crossed.

Thanks again

Neil

clubcanada

Sep 7, 2010
coggie2k:
just my 2ct: spending too much time and hope on your CV/resume is pretty much wasted time here in Canada. If your resume fullfills basic requirements and standards that should be fine in most cases. but again, in most cases it's not the resume that will get you the interview. When I came here I had my resume reviewed by a professional advisor and applied to quite a number of positions without any response at all (even though some of those positions 110% fit to my background). What got me my job was that I sent my resume right after landing to someone I knew, who placed it with people he knew and that was how I got in. It took some weeks but I got an interview. The resume was a standard continental European CV (I just erased my photo, marital status and birth date).
So I'd recommend that you get your resume (basic) canadianized and then reach out to people you know from your previous assignments here in Canada. I suppose that is much more promising...

good luck!

coggie2k

Jan 4, 2011
Thanks Clubcanada,

Thankfully my CV seemed to fulfil the standard criteria for Canada so I have made only a couple of very minor changes.

I am willing to use all contacts I can, unfortunately the team I worked with previously have all moved onto alternative assignments out of country as they were overseas short term roles, so I am in the same position as most and have to send from outside Canada and hope that I have something to offer that is in real need.

Networking has never been a strong point of mine, but hopefully soon will be…..

Neil