+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Current Job Market - COVID-19

_Harry_

Sep 29, 2016
Hi Members & PRs,

Can anyone currently living in Canada pls illuminate what is the current job market situation?
Also would be very grateful if you can share the best ways to search jobs in Canada! Shall I go online and search from "Indeed" or is there any better way to find jobs?
I have PR since 2017, did soft landing in 2018, and will be moving to Canada in next few months.

Thank you.

AMAN BHARDWAJ

Mar 10, 2016
BRAMPTON, ONTARIO - CANADA
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
NEW DELHI
NOC Code......
LANDED..........
15-06-2020
Since CANADA is opening gradually, jobs are available now slowly as we go along. Try Indeed , LinkedIn , Randstad & Glassdoor for job search. I became PR in June 2020, since than i have experienced below, yet looking for job actively.
- First thing is to fine tune Resume as per Canadian Job market. Check Job Scan website for getting insight what are the the right content for a resume suitable for you
- Most probable chance of getting job is through recommendation from your own professional network in Canada. Reference from employee does work here. So start refreshing your contacts asap. List down all the members you know in Canada (LinkedIn will help this) start checking with them any available position in their current companies
- When you apply for a job, first screening is done by ATS (Application Tracking System) Software. If your resume content does not match above 80% with the job requirements, system will not pick your resume for further process. Also for each of job you have to modify your resume every time to get a call. I gradually learnt this from connections in Canada and experienced progress in job search. Most of the members are using Job Scan to know if the resume being used is fit for a particular job or not
- One hurdle which everyone faces as new immigrant here is that almost every employer is looking for Canadian experience which is weird. I have a decade long experience is Business Development from West Europe and US , have extensive international travel history for business development. Yet few employers were looking Canadian experience in me and that too when I was heading a US segment business development team in my last assignment. I used to be i USA every alternate month. When I have worked for US market already asking for Canadian experience does not makes any sense. Rather they are loosing a potential candidate with such vast experience. Again you can not do something here.........The field I work for has 60% Share of US market and just 2% Share of Canada worldwide. 2% is saying here 60% does not matter. So if someone steps into this situation people starts picking odd jobs to get Canadian experience. If your finances allows you to bear 2-3 months expenses without job I would suggest chase your dream jobs until you do not see any progress in getting it immediately
- Canadian recruiters are too slow. I came from INDIA. Generally INDIANS are termed lethargic, but i would say Canadians are more than that & does apply little mind / IQ while recruiting. They are guided by softwares more than right candidate hunting skills. So do not expect quick reply from a employer after you apply. Thus make sure you apply 7-8 jobs each day. If you are able to get through ATS software screening, the further process takes after every week generally. So suggest you to apply jobs now only irrespective of you in Canada or not. Put A Canadian address (Where you intended to stay or any friends address) in application. Mention Yes in are you eligible to work in Canada. One day when you land you will surely become eligible. Till than start hunting. One of my friend who is in INDIA and will come Dec 2020 as PR has even bought a Canada phone line online and he started putting that mobile number in application already. I have not done this before my arrival, however looking into current job crisis and pandemic situation I suggest you should start applying jobs right away to save time

Though I am still looking for job, but that's what I experienced as of now. May not be true for someone else, everyone's destiny has own path. If anyone else has some suggestions pls share so that further immigrants gets benefited from our shortcomings. In the end I would say STAY POSITIVE, at the end of job search everything will be in our favor. Its just matter of time until someone gives a chance to work

tristonz

Star Member
Feb 5, 2018
Since CANADA is opening gradually, jobs are available now slowly as we go along. Try Indeed , LinkedIn , Randstad & Glassdoor for job search. I became PR in June 2020, since than i have experienced below, yet looking for job actively.
- First thing is to fine tune Resume as per Canadian Job market. Check Job Scan website for getting insight what are the the right content for a resume suitable for you
- Most probable chance of getting job is through recommendation from your own professional network in Canada. Reference from employee does work here. So start refreshing your contacts asap. List down all the members you know in Canada (LinkedIn will help this) start checking with them any available position in their current companies
- When you apply for a job, first screening is done by ATS (Application Tracking System) Software. If your resume content does not match above 80% with the job requirements, system will not pick your resume for further process. Also for each of job you have to modify your resume every time to get a call. I gradually learnt this from connections in Canada and experienced progress in job search. Most of the members are using Job Scan to know if the resume being used is fit for a particular job or not
- One hurdle which everyone faces as new immigrant here is that almost every employer is looking for Canadian experience which is weird. I have a decade long experience is Business Development from West Europe and US , have extensive international travel history for business development. Yet few employers were looking Canadian experience in me and that too when I was heading a US segment business development team in my last assignment. I used to be i USA every alternate month. When I have worked for US market already asking for Canadian experience does not makes any sense. Rather they are loosing a potential candidate with such vast experience. Again you can not do something here.........The field I work for has 60% Share of US market and just 2% Share of Canada worldwide. 2% is saying here 60% does not matter. So if someone steps into this situation people starts picking odd jobs to get Canadian experience. If your finances allows you to bear 2-3 months expenses without job I would suggest chase your dream jobs until you do not see any progress in getting it immediately
- Canadian recruiters are too slow. I came from INDIA. Generally INDIANS are termed lethargic, but i would say Canadians are more than that & does apply little mind / IQ while recruiting. They are guided by softwares more than right candidate hunting skills. So do not expect quick reply from a employer after you apply. Thus make sure you apply 7-8 jobs each day. If you are able to get through ATS software screening, the further process takes after every week generally. So suggest you to apply jobs now only irrespective of you in Canada or not. Put A Canadian address (Where you intended to stay or any friends address) in application. Mention Yes in are you eligible to work in Canada. One day when you land you will surely become eligible. Till than start hunting. One of my friend who is in INDIA and will come Dec 2020 as PR has even bought a Canada phone line online and he started putting that mobile number in application already. I have not done this before my arrival, however looking into current job crisis and pandemic situation I suggest you should start applying jobs right away to save time

Though I am still looking for job, but that's what I experienced as of now. May not be true for someone else, everyone's destiny has own path. If anyone else has some suggestions pls share so that further immigrants gets benefited from our shortcomings. In the end I would say STAY POSITIVE, at the end of job search everything will be in our favor. Its just matter of time until someone gives a chance to work
Thank you for this detailed explanation. I am looking to make my landing on March 2021 and this information was helpful.
I hope you have secured a job by now, if not, I wish you all the good luck in your job hunting.

Reactions: AMAN BHARDWAJ

Wunderkid

Star Member
May 18, 2014
Thank you for this detailed explanation. I am looking to make my landing on March 2021 and this information was helpful.
I hope you have secured a job by now, if not, I wish you all the good luck in your job hunting.
Look for Zero2h
check out this :https://canadianjobsearchacademy.com/

flump

Apr 4, 2021
I work in communications/PR in Canada and found my job through LinkedIn job postings, but Indeed is good, too.