+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CRS Calculation - Effect of IELTS Speaking Bands

_Harry_

Sep 29, 2016
This question is related to both Express Entry and IELTS section so though of posting it in both areas:

Can anyone please explain the effect IELTS speaking put on the CRS calculation?
I recently took an IELTS speaking exam. The exam didn't go as per my expectation, so I thought of calculating my CRS before the results are out.

I visited the below link for the calculation:
www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/crs-tool.asp

Now until I keep my speaking band upto 6.5 while calculating, I don't see much surge in my score but once I enter the speaking band 7, I see 25 points addition in the Foreign Language Job and Official Language proficiency section.

The extra 25 points are added to CRS if I change my band from 6.5 to 7 (or higher) but no points are awarded until band 6.5 for the speaking section.

Just want to clarify below 2 points:

1. Is my above interpretation true? Does IELTS speaking 7 or more add extra 25 points in my CRS?

2. While applying and during selection, does Canada Immigration look for my individual score or overall IETLS band score?

thestunner316

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
_Harry_ said:
This question is related to both Express Entry and IELTS section so though of posting it in both areas:

Can anyone please explain the effect IELTS speaking put on the CRS calculation?
I recently took an IELTS speaking exam. The exam didn't go as per my expectation, so I thought of calculating my CRS before the results are out.

I visited the below link for the calculation:
www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/crs-tool.asp

Now until I keep my speaking band upto 6.5 while calculating, I don't see much surge in my score but once I enter the speaking band 7, I see 25 points addition in the Foreign Language Job and Official Language proficiency section.

The extra 25 points are added to CRS if I change my band from 6.5 to 7 (or higher) but no points are awarded until band 6.5 for the speaking section.

Just want to clarify below 2 points:

1. Is my above interpretation true? Does IELTS speaking 7 or more add extra 25 points in my CRS?

2. While applying and during selection, does Canada Immigration look for my individual score or overall IETLS band score?
i think i replied to this question in a diferent thread

_Harry_

Sep 29, 2016
Yes I checked the reply. Thank you.

But my one question still remain unanswered. Can you illuminate if having a speaking band alone makes difference fo 25 points while moving from 6.5 to 7?

rohitjain75

Oct 4, 2015
IELTS Request
L:8.5 S: 8.5 R: 8.5 W: 6.5
7 in each and 8 in listening gets you level of 9 clb and makes a big diffrence. Anything below that gets you 8 clb and your score may come down by 25 points. Level 9 means intial advanced and level 8 means high intermediate.