+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Crossing border from the States (private vehicle) without valid PR card

Johny Bravo

Mar 29, 2015
Hi everyon,

Has anyone crossed the land border coming from the States (land border) without your valid PR card? How does that work and what documents you used?

thank you

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi everyon,

Has anyone crossed the land border coming from the States (land border) without your valid PR card? How does that work and what documents you used?

thank you
Just show your expired PR card, answered some questions from the CBSA officer and you are good to go.

Johny Bravo

Mar 29, 2015
Just show your expired PR card, answered some questions from the CBSA officer and you are good to go.
Thanks for your response.

Did the CBSA officer ask for any other documents to see? I’m asking because I’m trying to figure out if there is any chance they might not let you in being a permanent resident but not having valid PR card.

Last edited:

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015

Did the CBSA officer ask for any other documents to see? I’m asking because I’m trying to figure out if there is any chance they might not let you being a permanent resident but not having valid PR card.
If you can show you are / were a PR - i.e. any document that indicates the person holding that ID (eg passport) is /was* a PR - they must let you in. They take that requirement under law seriously,.

In practice, they look it up on the computer.

*I don't mean here someone who had PR status revoked or cancelled somehow - only that they were obviously PRs when the PR card was issued. Again, they will look it up.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Did the CBSA officer ask for any other documents to see? I’m asking because I’m trying to figure out if there is any chance they might not let you being a permanent resident but not having valid PR card.
They will let you into Canada. There is zero chance of not being allowed into Canada.

The only risk is being reported for failing to meet RO if you don't meet RO. But you would still be allowed into Canada even then.

Johny Bravo

Mar 29, 2015
Great, thank you for your responses steaky, armoured and scylla. Much appreciated.
I meet the RO requirements with over a two year buffer. it just that my card just expired and I’m still waiting for my new one. I might have to drive over the border soon.

Last edited:

bricksonly

Mar 18, 2018
They know your status only if you give any government issued ID which correctly shows your name and date of birth. You don't even need an expired PR card. You don't need a passort to enter Canada by this way. Drivers license or Health card works pretty well (you could lose your passport during your stay in US, that's fine).

Johny Bravo

Mar 29, 2015
They know your status only if you give any government issued ID which correctly shows your name and date of birth. You don't even need an expired PR card. You don't need a passort to enter Canada by this way. Drivers license or Health card works pretty well (you could lose your passport during your stay in US, that's fine).
Thank you for your input, much appreciated.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Still a good idea to carry the expired PR card if you have it but yes any ID should technically flag that you are a PR based on date of birth name, etc.

Reactions: armoured