+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Criminal record and no status sponsorship

Jan 7, 2024
I am sponsoring my husband who lives in the USA and he has NO status there currently and I am a working Canadian citizen with a clean record.
However my spouse has a criminal record for something he was accused of and had served his time as well for it. It was not something of sexual assault or anything too serious where someone was physically injured.
I am just worried would I be able to sponsor him to Canada?

it has only been a few years (less than 5) since the incident happened where he was fined and ruined his criminal record.

Please if someone can advice me or if they have been through something similar.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I am sponsoring my husband who lives in the USA and he has NO status there currently and I am a working Canadian citizen with a clean record.
However my spouse has a criminal record for something he was accused of and had served his time as well for it. It was not something of sexual assault or anything too serious where someone was physically injured.
I am just worried would I be able to sponsor him to Canada?

it has only been a few years (less than 5) since the incident happened where he was fined and ruined his criminal record.

Please if someone can advice me or if they have been through something similar.
Since he had to serve time, it's fair to assume he is currently inadmissible to Canada due to this criminal conviction. This means he will need to go through the rehabilitation process as part of your sponsorship. Suggest you spend some time reading through the below:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5312-rehabilitation-persons-inadmissible-canada-past-criminal-activity.html

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/application-rehabilitation-inadmissible-persons-criminal-activity.html

Reactions: Simba112