+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Criminal Inadmissibility - Success Stories

EllaG92

Apr 30, 2020
Hi everyone

My partner has a criminal record from a very dark time in his life - theft of the equivalent of CAD127.
We've spoken to an immigration lawyer and we will be applying for rehabilitation to hopefully get approved to immigrate to Canada.

This post is about hearing others' success stories with similar experiences, to give us a bit of hope that it will work out, as we obviously feel so afraid that our dreams won't come true due to this hurdle.

Please share your story with as much detail as possible.

Thank you!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi everyone

My partner has a criminal record from a very dark time in his life - theft of the equivalent of CAD127.
We've spoken to an immigration lawyer and we will be applying for rehabilitation to hopefully get approved to immigrate to Canada.

This post is about hearing others' success stories with similar experiences, to give us a bit of hope that it will work out, as we obviously feel so afraid that our dreams won't come true due to this hurdle.

Please share your story with as much detail as possible.

Thank you!
If that is the extend of your partners criminal history and any fines or probation were completed at least five years ago then rehab should certainly be approved. Get the application in ASAP. They can take a long time to process and even longer now due to Covid-19.

EllaG92

Apr 30, 2020
If that is the extend of your partners criminal history and any fines or probation were completed at least five years ago then rehab should certainly be approved. Get the application in ASAP. They can take a long time to process and even longer now due to Covid-19.
Thank you for this! Its good to hear that the possibility is high to get approved. Thankfully there was no probation, so the 5 year mark will be in May 2021. Any idea on how long they take to process it?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you for this! Its good to hear that the possibility is high to get approved. Thankfully there was no probation, so the 5 year mark will be in May 2021. Any idea on how long they take to process it?
Ok - in that case you need to wait until after the five year mark passes in may 2021 to submit the rehab application. Processing times are a bit all over the place and difficult to guess. I would plan on three months to a year. Any chance your spouse is american?

EllaG92

Apr 30, 2020
Ok - in that case you need to wait until after the five year mark passes in may 2021 to submit the rehab application. Processing times are a bit all over the place and difficult to guess. I would plan on three months to a year. Any chance your spouse is american?
Thank you! No, we are both South African/Greek (duel citizens). We can only hope that it won't take as long as a year! We're living in Greece now and we have to submit the application to Italy, hopefully by then their load is not too huge.

EllaG92

Apr 30, 2020
If you know - say we get an ITA, and we then send in the rehab application, how are we to enter Canada within the 60 day period that is required, if we have to wait for an answer from the officers that could take up to a year?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
If you know - say we get an ITA, and we then send in the rehab application, how are we to enter Canada within the 60 day period that is required, if we have to wait for an answer from the officers that could take up to a year?
The short answer is that you don't. You need the rehab application to be approved first. Once rehab is approved you can then apply to immigrate.

EllaG92

Apr 30, 2020
The short answer is that you don't. You need the rehab application to be approved first. Once rehab is approved you can then apply to immigrate.
Thanks, I am aware of this, and so I’m concerned with what happens with the PR application if they give you 60 days to submit all documents after the ITA, when we have to wait possibly longer for the rehab approval document.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks, I am aware of this, and so I’m concerned with what happens with the PR application if they give you 60 days to submit all documents after the ITA, when we have to wait possibly longer for the rehab approval document.
Sorry if I didn't make myself clear. You submit the rehab app first and wait for it to be approved. Once rehab is approved you would then enter the Express Entry pool and wait for ITA.

EllaG92

Apr 30, 2020
Sorry if I didn't make myself clear. You submit the rehab app first and wait for it to be approved. Once rehab is approved you would then enter the Express Entry pool and wait for ITA.
This makes more sense, but the immigration lawyer told us to first wait for ITA and then submit the rehab application, which confused me but I didn’t question it since it came from a lawyer. But I think we will do it as you stated. Thank you for all your help, it’s so appreciated :)

Sidm786

Dec 30, 2020
This makes more sense, but the immigration lawyer told us to first wait for ITA and then submit the rehab application, which confused me but I didn’t question it since it came from a lawyer. But I think we will do it as you stated. Thank you for all your help, it’s so appreciated :)
Hi,

Could you please provide an update on here as there is so little information out there?