Course selection

FSumayah

Nov 16, 2018
Sri Lanka
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Colombo, Sri Lanka
What will be the best course for a hospitality management graduate.
Completed 2 year Advanced Diploma in Hospitality Management in 2016
Completed BA hons Top Up Degree Hospitality Management in 2021

My goal is to start up a fine dining restaurant or an eco friendly resort.

First and second application refused because my agent has applied for Tourism management degree.

3rd time I have applied for Post Graduate Diploma in Hospitality Management.
Currently I am working at my brother's restaurant.

Pleas help

Please suggest me a good course

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020

First and second application refused because my agent has applied for Tourism management degree.

Pleas help

Why do you need to study in Canada if your goal is to set up a restaurant or resort? You don't need an education for that, just a good business plan, investors etc. Instead of spending tens of thousands of dollars on education, you could instead spend that money on setting up your restaurant and buying property to build a resorts. So you have 3 refusals so what were the reasons. If serious, take a MBA in Tourism Management. Taking a PG or degree in tourism makes no sense since you have a degree and diploma.

FSumayah

Nov 16, 2018
Sri Lanka
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Colombo, Sri Lanka
To manage and run successful business a person must have good management skills right? I don't have that. Do you mean that only working professions can apply vor Canada student visa?

Last edited:

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
To manage and run successful business a person must have good management skills right? I don't gave that. Do you mean that only working professions can apply vor Canada student visa?
But why do you need to come to Canada to learn those skills? You have a degree and diploma in hospitality management so didn't you learn management skills in those programs. The program choices make no sense. Take a MBA if serious about management.

FSumayah

Nov 16, 2018
Sri Lanka
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Colombo, Sri Lanka
I also thought that my program selection was bad. I didn't chose my first program. My stupid agent forced me to apply fir Bachelors in Canada, what kind of program would you recommend for me? What if I go for Entrepreneurship program?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I also thought that my program selection was bad. I didn't chose my first program. My stupid agent forced me to apply fir Bachelors in Canada, what kind of program would you recommend for me? What if I go for Entrepreneurship program?
Or a MBA. Honestly if you are opening a restaurant, you don't need any education. Use the money to open the restaurant. Your reasons to study in Canada are very weak. There must have been more reasons for refusal (GCMS) than just choice of program.

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
Or a MBA. Honestly if you are opening a restaurant, you don't need any education.
Oh wow.. that is simply not the truth. I have been in this industry for over 30 years, a graduate of one of the best hotel management schools in Switzerland. To say you don't need any education is just blatant ignorance.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Oh wow.. that is simply not the truth. I have been in this industry for over 30 years, a graduate of one of the best hotel management schools in Switzerland. To say you don't need any education is just blatant ignorance.
OP wants to open a restaurant. I know several successful restauranteurs who have not completed a degree or diploma in hospitality management. The OP has 3 refusals. OP already has a degree AND a diploma in hospitality management. What should the OP take in Canada to expand on education leading to career advancement? Why is OP spending tens of thousands more when OP has a degree and diploma? Why can't OP open a restaurant now with current education? Those are my questions to the OP as OP has a lot of education in the field already.

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
OP wants to open a restaurant. I know several successful restauranteurs who have not completed a degree or diploma in hospitality management. The OP has 3 refusals. OP already has a degree AND a diploma in hospitality management. What should the OP take in Canada to expand on education leading to career advancement? Why is OP spending tens of thousands more when OP has a degree and diploma? Why can't OP open a restaurant now with current education? Those are my questions to the OP as OP has a lot of education in the field already.
Agreed. But your statement said "don't need any education". That's why I got mad. OP is qualified indeed..

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Agreed. But your statement said "don't need any education". That's why I got mad. OP is qualified indeed..
I apologize for that...didn't word it correctly. The restaurant business in Canada is tough. Most fail and most don't have any education, especially on the business side. My comment is more along the lines...OP has so much education in the field already and works in his brother's restaurant (learning first hand about management) so why not use the $20-30k in education to actually start up his business.

Reactions: YVR123 and foodie69

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You should really be getting more experience in your field before trying to apply for another program that would lead to career advancement.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
In general most don’t need degrees to work in the hospitality industry. In high-end hotels and resorts is where you really need these hospitality management degrees especially the top school in the world like the Swiss program I am assuming you attended.

MNJ

Star Member
Feb 15, 2022

Pleas help

Apply Project management master program or MBA