+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Cost of Living

swoosh

May 2, 2007
Hi! My family and I are from the Philippines. We are currently in the last stages of the immigration process, specifically complying with the medical requirements. We are planning to move to either Mississauga or in Vancouver. Can anybody refer a website where I can view the Cost of Living in these areas? Anybody know the cost for monthly groceries, renting a home for 4, car rental, and other expenses? I need your help. Thanks.

Sam0130

Feb 22, 2007
Well We are recent immigrants in toronto land area as well, just landed here almost a month ago and got appartment in Missisaga area, the two bed room decent appartment is around 1000 to 1250 $ per month, one bed room is almost 950 $ or so.....depends on you if you dont mind living in some old building you might can get a 2 bed room appartmet for 900 $ as well, but its very important for you to know that you will be needing a Co-signer for your self to get an appartment since you or your family wont be having any credit history peior to your landing, the monthly grossery is around 500-700 for 2 persons ...! Hope that info will help thanks

ratheesh_74

May 23, 2007
I am also going to migrate to Canada. I want to know the average expense for family of two plus one child in Ontario. If i live in sub-urban areas, how much will it cost.

jimberan

Mar 23, 2007
Would that be for a single person, a couple or a whole family. That sure sounds like a lot of money to me. Please let me know.

Sam0130

Feb 22, 2007
The estimate I have give is ealier was for a family with 1-2 kids ..as being a single person it will be alot less since a single person can live with sharing an appartment and share the food and all ...so thats will be around 1500-2000 . Good luck

Rauk

Jun 17, 2007
Finland
see http://www.studyincanada.com/english/canada/cost.asp?Preference=canada for more details. You can also use google search engine for cost of living details.

-Rauk

gilipsie

Star Member
Jul 11, 2007
It sounds like the cos of lving up there is less than in the US. I imagine it depends on where and how you live.

eugenevb

Jul 14, 2007
Dear all

I am also planning to relocate to Canada. I am only starting the process now. A good approach is to start with an analysis of your current salary and major expenses. I.e what you pay on your bond or rent, your car/s, your internet, your cable/digital tv. You then use the current exchange rate and see what you earn and what you spend in CAD terms based on your current earning ability. You then search the internet to see ho much a new home will cost to replicate what you currently have. The same applies to your car. There are many sites available where you can get this type of information. You then ascertain what teh real cost will be. Also search for salary scales in your field. That would give you a good starting point in terms of expectations and reality to what you you currentkly earning in CAD terms. I found for instance that housing is the most expensive whether you rent or buy. Analysis like that will quickly show you how the money left in CAD terms (what you have left now after housing, car etc expressed in CAd terms) to what you most likely to have left for living expenses. In my case it was roughly 50% less in CAD compared to my position now expressed in CAD terms. This makes a good starting point to see what you are most likely to cut back on or to see what you need to save up to make the immigration transition as smooth as possible for you and your family. Good luck I hope this helps!

LCS

May 5, 2005
Rauk said:
see http://www.studyincanada.com/english/canada/cost.asp?Preference=canada for more details. You can also use google search engine for cost of living details.

-Rauk
This list is now WAY out of date, with the cost of gasoline approaching $1.30, which would also reflect an increase if you are paying part or all of a natural gas heating bill which could be $60 to $150 a month. If Utilities means electricity and water I think that would be higher now too.
There are no costs listed for meat, cheese and fresh vegetables which have all gone up as well as a result of increasing fuel costs.
This is something my husband's relatives do not think of when they ask about living in Canada. All they see is the dollar signs of the salary they might make (even if it's minumum wage), which of course is much much more than they make now. They just do not see, or believe how high the cost of living is here. I wrote out a big long list of items and what we pay for them here and told him to SHOW it to them. IT IS NOT CHEAP TO LIVE IN CANADA.