+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CoPR expiring very soon.. Need to do soft landing

P4n23r

Jul 8, 2021
Don't think you can do a soft landing at the moment - the link above states that you should be coming to settle permanently
If we already approved your permanent residence application
If you’re outside Canada and your COPR and permanent resident visa are still valid
We’re changing Canada’s travel restrictions. If you hold a valid (not expired) Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) and visa, you can travel to Canada as of June 21, 2021.
You must also

• be coming to Canada to settle permanently (you cannot come to Canada and leave to go live in another country, even if it’s temporary) and
  • show you’re able to quarantine for 14 days

P4n23r

Jul 8, 2021
Please do post if you have any updates on expiring COPR as the website doesn't say much about expiring COPRs

canprofus

Dec 20, 2019
Please do post if you have any updates on expiring COPR as the website doesn't say much about expiring COPRs
Just go ahead and do soft landing. You will be allowed to do that. Plenty of them have done it successfully from US.

mcinec

Oct 6, 2020
Just go ahead and do soft landing. You will be allowed to do that. Plenty of them have done it successfully from US.
Yeah? That's great to hear. My situation would be slightly different, as I'd be coming from India, and then (hopefully) going to US on my H-1B. IS this likely to cause a problem?

canprofus

Dec 20, 2019
Yeah? That's great to hear. My situation would be slightly different, as I'd be coming from India, and then (hopefully) going to US on my H-1B. IS this likely to cause a problem?
this I am not sure. you need to check with IRCC. they have completely different rules for people coming from US vs rest of the world.

mcinec

Oct 6, 2020
this I am not sure. you need to check with IRCC. they have completely different rules for people coming from US vs rest of the world.
Would you happen to know anybody who has done this, personally? I would love to ask them about their soft landing if they'd be willing to share their experience.

canprofus

Dec 20, 2019
Would you happen to know anybody who has done this, personally? I would love to ask them about their soft landing if they'd be willing to share their experience.
as far as I know soft landing from India is not possible, but I am not 100% sure of it. I think they ask for settlement plans before allowing you fly. you should try other ways.. come to US on H1b (via third country like Mexico after spending 14 days if impacted due to proclamation) and then do soft landing.

mcinec

Oct 6, 2020
as far as I know soft landing from India is not possible, but I am not 100% sure of it. I think they ask for settlement plans before allowing you fly. you should try other ways.. come to US on H1b (via third country like Mexico after spending 14 days if impacted due to proclamation) and then do soft landing.
Yeah, I was hoping to do that, but unfortunately there are no appointments for H-1B stamping in India, so it's not possible to do that. So I've just been trying to find people who'd know about this.

DixvilleNotch

Mar 11, 2019
Yeah, I was hoping to do that, but unfortunately there are no appointments for H-1B stamping in India, so it's not possible to do that. So I've just been trying to find people who'd know about this.
Hi @mcinec Im contemplating doing this too. I already have an H1B stamp, but need to spend 14 days outside the US. I was planning to use my COPR to land in Canada and stay there for 15 days before heading to the US. Do you know what problems there could be? AFAIK several ppl have done soft landing through land borders, not sure about airport poes though.