+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR activation

alal123

Star Member
Dec 20, 2021
Hi. I am currently in Detroit. I received COPR 3 weeks back which is valid till June 2024. I was planning to make a trip to Toronto since I have to meet someone and will be back in Detroit after that. I assume my PR will get activated at that point once I cross the border to travel to Toronto. I was planning a permanent relocation to Canada towards the end of Feb, 2024. Can someone please let me know if there will be any issues in this situation, since my permanent relocation to Canada will happen at a later date even though my PR will get activated once I travel to Toronto?

thanks

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi. I am currently in Detroit. I received COPR 3 weeks back which is valid till June 2024. I was planning to make a trip to Toronto since I have to meet someone and will be back in Detroit after that. I assume my PR will get activated at that point once I cross the border to travel to Toronto. I was planning a permanent relocation to Canada towards the end of Feb, 2024. Can someone please let me know if there will be any issues in this situation, since my permanent relocation to Canada will happen at a later date even though my PR will get activated once I travel to Toronto?

thanks
First, at the border, if you decide you don't wish to activate it right now - just tell them that. My understanding is they'll be fine with you waiving it off for the time being (would likely help to just say you want to do it all in a couple of months). Only downside is that if you can't for some reason later, and your COPR expires, you'd have to start all over.

Issues involved are pretty minor - if you 'land' (become a PR), they'll need an address in Canada to send the PR card. If they don't, they won't send the paperwork and you'll have to apply for the PR card later. Next is you'll 'lose' a few months (four?) of your PR residency for residency obligation purposes - which may or may not be an issue for you later. A small positive is that you could apply for SIN right away and be ready to use it (and your PR status) to apply for jobs, which may not be a lot of difference to employers (since you have approved PR status), but to some might be.

Overall I'd say six of one, half a dozen of the other. If you can use an address to have the PR card sent, it then is basically a quesiton of preference.

[I haven't addressed moving with stuff / customs, because I don't think there is much of an issue there - customs seems to accept that a soft landing like you are doing is not the same thing as establishing residence (for the purposes of bringing your stuff).

YMMV.

ALLDISH

Jan 7, 2014
Hello

I trust that you are keeping very well!!

Urgent Help Required:: Please Please Please Help

• Parents PR have been granted already under the PGP Programe.
  • Parents will be landing on Tuesday 10 October 2023 - in 2 Days via Land Cross road border from USA

Parents Details

Father : Principal Applicant - PGP program - PR granted
Mother : Secondary/dependent Applicant - PGP program - PR granted

Issue / Problem :: Mother's COPR document have been Lost or Misplaced (COPR - Confirmation of Permanent Residence),
Will my Mother be allowed to Enter Canada with only Passport Stamp through the Land Canada border from USA??
Will Immigration office issue a NEW COPR while crossing border for my mother to allow her to Enter Canada ??
What if someone lost the COPR in the Flight or at Airport while travelling ?
Mother has a Valid Super VISA - will she be allowed to Enter to Canada using that ?
Mother will be allowed to stay at USA if just in case if Canada does not allow to enter ?
Do i have to go for Urgent Webform? Is it going to work to issue new COPR document at Road Land Cananda Border?
Mother has a COPR's Photo of the documents received from IRCC but the Original has been lost
Mother is having Super VISA stamp in Passport anyway.

More Details :

Both - Father and mother have passport stamped with PR VISA but ONLY mother's COPR has been lost. mother is dependent
Mother has VALID USA visitor VISA and Canada SUPER VISA - COPR received and NOT LOST
Mother has VALID USA visitor VISA and Canada SUPER VISA - COPR received and LOST , what should we do ?

Please Help me asap as i my mother has been very scared and family is under stress.

Thanks you so much in advance,

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hello

I trust that you are keeping very well!!

Urgent Help Required:: Please Please Please Help

• Parents PR have been granted already under the PGP Programe.
  • Parents will be landing on Tuesday 10 October 2023 - in 2 Days via Land Cross road border from USA

Parents Details

Issue / Problem :: Mother's COPR document have been Lost or Misplaced (COPR - Confirmation of Permanent Residence),
Will my Mother be allowed to Enter Canada with only Passport Stamp through the Land Canada border from USA??
Will Immigration office issue a NEW COPR while crossing border for my mother to allow her to Enter Canada ??
What if someone lost the COPR in the Flight or at Airport while travelling ?
Mother has a Valid Super VISA - will she be allowed to Enter to Canada using that ?
Mother will be allowed to stay at USA if just in case if Canada does not allow to enter ?
Do i have to go for Urgent Webform? Is it going to work to issue new COPR document at Road Land Cananda Border?
Mother has a COPR's Photo of the documents received from IRCC but the Original has been lost
Mother is having Super VISA stamp in Passport anyway.

More Details :

Both - Father and mother have passport stamped with PR VISA but ONLY mother's COPR has been lost. mother is dependent
Mother has VALID USA visitor VISA and Canada SUPER VISA - COPR received and NOT LOST
Mother has VALID USA visitor VISA and Canada SUPER VISA - COPR received and LOST , what should we do ?

Please Help me asap as i my mother has been very scared and family is under stress.

Thanks you so much in advance,
Which of the two parents is the principal applicant? (I'm not sure this matters much, but it might).

Anyway, I think all anyone can do is make an educated guess. My somewhat informed guess is that yes, she'd be allowed to enter. She should indeed bring copies of the correspondence and (if possible) print a copy of the COPR (whether picture or scan) that she had.

I say this based on reports from others at various times that CBSA officers have in fact been able to print a new COPR at the border - in fact, without much fuss.

Unfortunately, since you're talking about Tuesday after a holiday Monday, I don't see much way to confirm this in advance. She'll just have to try it.

I also believe that if they couldn't deal with this, they would let your parents in to let them (and you) sort it out.

I just realized where this might make a difference: if your father was the principal applicant, if they refused to do this, it would be administratively more simple to let your father 'land' (become a PR) and then you'd have to sort it out later, but it shouldn't be impossible.

I've no idea whether USA would allow her back in if she wasn't allowed in to Canada.

ALLDISH

Jan 7, 2014
Which of the two parents is the principal applicant? (I'm not sure this matters much, but it might).

Anyway, I think all anyone can do is make an educated guess. My somewhat informed guess is that yes, she'd be allowed to enter. She should indeed bring copies of the correspondence and (if possible) print a copy of the COPR (whether picture or scan) that she had.

I say this based on reports from others at various times that CBSA officers have in fact been able to print a new COPR at the border - in fact, without much fuss.

Unfortunately, since you're talking about Tuesday after a holiday Monday, I don't see much way to confirm this in advance. She'll just have to try it.

I also believe that if they couldn't deal with this, they would let your parents in to let them (and you) sort it out.

I just realized where this might make a difference: if your father was the principal applicant, if they refused to do this, it would be administratively more simple to let your father 'land' (become a PR) and then you'd have to sort it out later, but it shouldn't be impossible.

I've no idea whether USA would allow her back in if she wasn't allowed in to Canada.

Thank you so much for the quick response : " armoured "

You are awesome , Just to confirm below quickly :- kindly please help !!!

1) Does USA officer gives 6 months VISA to visitor , my understanding is if my parents say they are going canada, then USA officer may not give 6 months visa.

2) Do you think my parents should say to USA immigration that they may be staying for 5 to 7 days in USA and then will go to Canada ?, the only reason
I am saying is if USA immigration officer will give only 1 day VISA Or only Transit VISA , then My mother may Stuck if CBSA refuses to allow her in Canada

2) Do you think Will Land Border officer)CBSA) still allow my mom on the Super VISA basis only....My mother still has Valid Visitor Super VISA of canada though.. if Land Border officer(CBSA) will not let my mom inside on PR due to no COPR then Can she not ASK CBSA officer to allowe on Super VISA ...

3) Do you think , Do i have to inform IRCC in advance for all this fuss earlier ? OR just take a chance until Tuesday as it may be possible that CBSA officer may allow her and print the COPR at his end using my mom's phone image or Printed scan copy

My Mother has a mobile Photo taken from the Original Document , Is This must be printed and scanned to show CBSA officer ?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Just to confirm below quickly :- kindly please help !!!
It would be easier to help if you READ carefully what was written above.

I had a very specific and important question above that you did not answer: who is principal applicant, your father or mother?

1) Does USA officer gives 6 months VISA to visitor , my understanding is if my parents say they are going canada, then USA officer may not give 6 months visa.

2) Do you think my parents should say to USA immigration that they may be staying for 5 to 7 days in USA and then will go to Canada ?, the only reason
I am saying is if USA immigration officer will give only 1 day VISA Or only Transit VISA , then My mother may Stuck if CBSA refuses to allow her in Canada
I know nothing about USA.

2) Do you think Will Land Border officer)CBSA) still allow my mom on the Super VISA basis only....My mother still has Valid Visitor Super VISA of canada though.. if Land Border officer(CBSA) will not let my mom inside on PR due to no COPR then Can she not ASK CBSA officer to allowe on Super VISA ...
More important, I think they will let her in on COPR/PR basis. If I'm wrong and they won't 'land' her, she should simply ask to be admitted on any basis. (I think they might let her in on the supervisa basis, but more important is that they try to admit her as a PR.)

3) Do you think , Do i have to inform IRCC in advance for all this fuss earlier ?
If you read again you will see I said I don't know of any good way to check with IRCC / CBSA in advance. If there is a way you can find that might be preferable - but then they might say you have to go back to the embassy immigration section to get it sorted (and then problems with tickets etc).

Yes, it's a CHANCE - I think a decent one but please read again where I wrote GUESS. It may not work.

OR just take a chance until Tuesday as it may be possible that CBSA officer may allow her and print the COPR at his end using my mom's phone image or Printed scan copy
If you read again, this is exactly what I said. Except that I think they would be more likely to go into their OWN system and print a new COPR.

My Mother has a mobile Photo taken from the Original Document , Is This must be printed and scanned to show CBSA officer ?
I repeat: yes, I think it would be GOOD to print this and carry it with her (as well as on her phone).

ALLDISH

Jan 7, 2014
Parents Details

ALLDISH

Jan 7, 2014
yes

Father COPR Says Himslef as PA (which is Principal Applicant to my knowledge )
Mother's COPR Says herself as DEP (Which is Dependent Applicant to my knowledge )

Do you think this is one of Postitives which may CBSA officer to allow to "Land" withour original her COPR

My father has his own original COPR with him but only Mom's COPR is the issue for not having Original

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Father COPR Says Himslef as PA (which is Principal Applicant to my knowledge )
Mother's COPR Says herself as DEP (Which is Dependent Applicant to my knowledge )

Do you think this is one of Postitives which may CBSA officer to allow to "Land" withour original her COPR
Yes, I think this is a positive. The principal applicant (your father_) can 'land' without the dependent(s); the converse is not true.

1) I think it's more likely that they'd make arrangements to let your mother land at same time (without original). But I don't know.
2) Failing that, I think it's important that your father 'land' (and become PR) as at that point there should be no doubt that as dependent, the spouse will be allowed to land (somehow) eg inland if they cannot work out how to complete the landing procedure at border. (Eg they admit her to Canada as a visitor and let her contact IRCC to arrange a virtual landing in-country).

CBSA officers do have the authority to admit someone - technically - even without a visa, and your mother has a superivsa that might still be in the system/not yet cancelled. Better is if CBSA can figure out how to just print the COPR letter, which is - after all - just a formal letter that can be printed out on regular paper (and I think their systems have access to them).

But again: I cannot say this for a fact, it is not a guarantee, just that we have seen cases - rarely - where it's worked out. Partly it will come down to the officers, and it will help if your parents are charming (which I'm sure they are) and polite.

Up to you and your parents to decide how to handle, given the above. If they do this, or even if they choose not to, please inform others here afterwards how it goes.

ALLDISH

Jan 7, 2014
Sure Will do inform

Just a Last thing to ask ?

Do you think i will be allowed inside with them as I am the one who is in the car driving to the Window to CBSA officer from USA border to Canada Border ?

And do you suggest that i say upfront to CBSA officer @window that she does not have COPR but father does have Or they ask all that after sending them to inside office and not @ Window?

if they allow me inside will be great help and support.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Sure Will do inform

Just a Last thing to ask ?

Do you think i will be allowed inside with them as I am the one who is in the car driving to the Window to CBSA officer from USA border to Canada Border ?

And do you suggest that i say upfront to CBSA officer @window that she does not have COPR but father does have Or they ask all that after sending them to inside office and not @ Window?

if they allow me inside will be great help and support.
-Since you are travelling together in one car and a family member (and sponsor it sounds like), I think they would allow you to accompany them indoors.
-When you identify that they are arriving as PRs (first time landing), they'll probably send you indoors right away. I don't see any benefit in bringing it up with the officer at the gate/window (whatever they call those things), but if it comes up, tell the truth. If you are handing over all the docs including coprs, they might/will ask. When you get indoors, probably best if you volunteer that your mother lost the COPR.

ALLDISH

Jan 7, 2014
-Since you are travelling together in one car and a family member (and sponsor it sounds like), I think they would allow you to accompany them indoors.
-When you identify that they are arriving as PRs (first time landing), they'll probably send you indoors right away. I don't see any benefit in bringing it up with the officer at the gate/window (whatever they call those things), but if it comes up, tell the truth. If you are handing over all the docs including coprs, they might/will ask. When you get indoors, probably best if you volunteer that your mother lost the COPR.
Sure - Thanks a lot armoured

You are awesome, Thanks for your support !

I am praying and will keep you posted, hope all goes well !

Reactions: armoured