+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Continuing contract work with Canadian clients after leaving Canada

Lanaloo

Sep 20, 2012
Hi,
I'm a permanent resident in Canada, doing contract work from home as a freelancer for some Canadian companies. I'm married to a Canadian citizen. We're considering moving back to the U.S. to be near my parents. But I'm wondering what would happen if after being outside Canada for awhile I might end up losing my permanent resident status (?), and how this might affect my freelance/business activities. For example, suppose we move to the U.S. but I don't find enough work and then the clients in Canada have more needs. I could still work from home in the U.S. and connect through email, Skype, etc., but would at some point there be a problem because I wouldn't be residing in Canada anymore? Would they be prevented somehow from using my services if I ever lost my residency status by not living in Canada anymore? Would I be prevented from crossing the border if I did so to attend a business meeting?
The flip side of this is that maybe I should just apply for citizenship before leaving, although I assume that means I'd have to stay until it's approved (?)...and then I wonder if that would interfere with being able to prove good faith intention to re-establish domicile in the U.S., which is one of the requirements the U.S. has in my sponsoring my wife to live with me in the U.S.
Thanks.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
If you are married to a Canadian citizen, then the time you spend with your spouse outside of Canada counts towards your PR residency obligation which allows you to retain your PR status without living in Canada.

Lanaloo

Sep 20, 2012
Oh really? That's great..thanks. So even if we'll be living in the U.S. for years and years, I can still keep renewing my PR every five years, and it's like I have Canada right next to me because of my wife? Awesome. Will I need to supply some kind of proof that we're in the same house every day or if she goes on a business trip for a few days that she came back by such-and-such a date?

I suppose maintaining OHIP coverage if I leave Canada isn't so easy, but at least it sounds as if I can keep PR status.

Thanks!