+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

consultant tying to dupe me? need advice

mkjunior

May 9, 2014
Hello community,

I am planning to apply for a post secondary 3 year diploma in biotech.But a lot of consultants have left me in confusion.I have a masters from UK in pharmacy.I have been working for 2 years now in a biotech company.I wish to move to Canada and later try to get into a phd.

I applied to Centennial College in Toronto where I will have to study for 2 years.Everything seemed going god except yesterday when I had gone to apply for Durham College, somebody there told me if I was looking for PR then it is impossible to get in toronto.He said I should ideally goto BC,Calgary,Saskatchewan or Manitoba.

He told me there are thousands of people waiting for the federal PR and will be impossible to get in toronto.Is this true? Or is the consultants trying to dupe me into joining a college they are affiliated to??So with both provincial PR(6 months exp) and Federal PR(1 month), is it required that the person work in relevant field to apply for PR? (biotech in my case or can I work any job).

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Beautiful British Columbia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So with both provincial PR(6 months exp) and Federal PR(1 month), is it required that the person work in relevant field to apply for PR? (biotech in my case or can I work any job).
For Federal PR you need 12 months of work and it does not matter in what province you work and apply. For PNP you should check different provinces to see where options could be better for you. But overall any job for applying for PR should be in NOC 0,A,B. (could be something less strict in Manitoba or SK, not sure, you should look BY YOURSELF).

As I understand what you advisers try to tell you is- if you are going to apply through PNP in Ontario you will have to have job in NOC 0-A-B and that this could be difficult because in ON too many people trying to do the same.

Diplomatru

VIP Member
May 8, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Have you considered going for a Phd instead? There are designated PR streams both on the federal and provincial level for Phd graduates.

mkjunior

May 9, 2014
@Diplomatru

Yeah man.My ideal thing will be to do a Masters or a Phd.But every Supervisor seems to have only one answer'I have no graduate positions available currently;good luck'

@Regina

Thanks for the info.

hey,

And I have searched this forum and found only one thread.Although it seems bad, what do you think my visa chances are considering I already have a masters? I got an offer letter from Centennial College for the 3 year advanced diploma in Biotech.I am hoping to do credit exchange after and get a Uni f Toronto degree

mkjunior

May 9, 2014
Thanks!So an ideal choice will be a PG diploma isin't it? That way I should have no problems with the visa right? Would you happen to know if PG diplomas can be turned into Masters degrees through credit exchange?

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Beautiful British Columbia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No. master is still a higher level than PG. You should go for PhD then. :)
Would you happen to know if PG diplomas can be turned into Masters degrees through credit exchange?
You could go for another master IF your job somehow supports the need of the second master in another field.

Diplomatru

VIP Member
May 8, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mkjunior said:
@ Diplomatru

Yeah man.My ideal thing will be to do a Masters or a Phd.But every Supervisor seems to have only one answer'I have no graduate positions available currently;
That's what they always say. Look, graduate studies is mature business, and universities in general don't coordinate these admission streams with third parties. Do your research about pro's and cons of different courses, get in touch with the professors, present your vision. These are kind of things that they expect from a successful aspiring student.

propain

Champion Member
Sep 1, 2013
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
http://www1.uwindsor.ca/professional/master-of-medical-biotechnology-0

that could help if you are interested in medical biotech.

cheers