+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Conjugal Partners

lmoore191

Apr 27, 2018
Hi everyone,

I am looking for some imput. So my partner is from Australia. He does not meet the age requirements for coming in as a worker because he is past the age of acceptance. We have been dating since Sepetember 2016 and in a committed relationship since March 2017.

We plan to Marry as soon as we are able but at the moment cannot because i am going through a divorce that seems to be taking forever. Because of the current legal barrier to us getting Married is this an option for us? My family all lives very far away and I could use his support. and I miss him like crazy and we want to start our life together in person rather than just over visits as often as we can, non stop skyping and phone calls all the time. He has met my children and his son is even staying with me while on Vacation to explore our country.

Any thoughts?

Thank you

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
Hi everyone,

I am looking for some imput. So my partner is from Australia. He does not meet the age requirements for coming in as a worker because he is past the age of acceptance. We have been dating since Sepetember 2016 and in a committed relationship since March 2017.

We plan to Marry as soon as we are able but at the moment cannot because i am going through a divorce that seems to be taking forever. Because of the current legal barrier to us getting Married is this an option for us? My family all lives very far away and I could use his support. and I miss him like crazy and we want to start our life together in person rather than just over visits as often as we can, non stop skyping and phone calls all the time. He has met my children and his son is even staying with me while on Vacation to explore our country.

Any thoughts?

Thank you
No, your divorce not being finalized is not an immigration barrier, sorry. He can either come here or you can go there to wait for the finalization of your divorce. If you live together for 12 consecutive months then you are common law and your divorce is irrelevant, but I suspect you divorce would be finalized long before that.

ronjames

Star Member
Jan 10, 2017
Hi everyone,

Any thoughts?

Thank you
The conjugal partnership is for rare exceptions where people are unable to marry or live together for a year due to reasons beyond their control. Like same sex couples from countries where it is illegal. It’s not a shortcut for people who are in a regular relationship to receive spousal sponsorship without actually being a spouse.

In other words, it sucks, but you'll have to wait for the divorce to finalize and to get married.

lmoore191

Apr 27, 2018
The conjugal partnership is for rare exceptions where people are unable to marry or live together for a year due to reasons beyond their control. Like same sex couples from countries where it is illegal. It’s not a shortcut for people who are in a regular relationship to receive spousal sponsorship without actually being a spouse.

In other words, it sucks, but you'll have to wait for the divorce to finalize and to get married.

Okay. I wondered if i was getting bad advice from my consult. They said we most likely did qualify because they have become slightly more lenient. It does suck actually because I have an ex who is intentionally drawing things out as long as possible simply to prevent my partner from coming to Canada. I have no support here and he is surrounded by family (my ex).

He cannot just come and stay here knowing that he can't work for at least 12 months, that is why we were looking for other avenues. I cannot go there and wait because I have children that I am not willing to leave.

Plus he will bring his dog and some possessions even if he did come and know he cannot work until things are finalized.

Thanks for the feedback.... divorce sucks ha ha

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Okay. I wondered if i was getting bad advice from my consult. They said we most likely did qualify because they have become slightly more lenient. It does suck actually because I have an ex who is intentionally drawing things out as long as possible simply to prevent my partner from coming to Canada. I have no support here and he is surrounded by family (my ex).

He cannot just come and stay here knowing that he can't work for at least 12 months, that is why we were looking for other avenues. I cannot go there and wait because I have children that I am not willing to leave.

Plus he will bring his dog and some possessions even if he did come and know he cannot work until things are finalized.

Thanks for the feedback.... divorce sucks ha ha
Don't go back to that consultant. There are no legal or immigration barriers preventing you from becoming common-law, so you do not qualify for conjugal.