+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Conjugal Partner Sponsorship

EGE02

Jan 15, 2018
Hi, hope everyone's doing great, I need some advise...
I'm a mexican citizen, I went on an exchange program in 2016 in Montreal, Québec, at the time, I started a relationship with my boyfriend who is a Permanent Resident, we continue our realtionship in distance since I had to come back to Mexico because of my studies, he visited me on July 2017, I visited him last December 2017, I have a visitor visa, I'm planning on moving there after my graduation (which is on December 2018, so by January 2019), we're planning on applying by conjugal partner sponsorship, we're both university students and we want to live together as soon as I finish my degree... Can we apply by this sponsorship?

Thanks!

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017
I'm a mexican citizen, I went on an exchange program in 2016 in Montreal, Québec, at the time, I started a relationship with my boyfriend who is a Permanent Resident, we continue our realtionship in distance since I had to come back to Mexico because of my studies, he visited me on July 2017, I visited him last December 2017, I have a visitor visa, I'm planning on moving there after my graduation (which is on December 2018, so by January 2019), we're planning on applying by conjugal partner sponsorship, we're both university students and we want to live together as soon as I finish my degree... Can we apply by this sponsorship?

Thanks!
No. Nothing is stopping you from marrying or living together for 1 year. Conjugal is not the route for you, and you will be rejected.

Conjugal is a stream reserved for those with legal and/or immigration barriers that cannot be overcome.

You will need to live together for 12m consecutively to qualify for common law or marry and apply that way.

Reactions: Miraclejj

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012

Thanks!
Agreed with above, you do not qualify as conjugal and have zero chance to get a conjugal app approved.

You must get married or become common-law, these are your only 2 options.

Conjugal is a special classification that is reserved for the most extreme cases where marriage or common-law is physically impossible to do.

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
And if we send the application and is rejected, the money is refunded?
Why are you even asking this? You do not qualify for conjugal. Let me give you some examples of who does:

1. A person in the Philippines is married and cannot divorce their ex-partner because divorce is illegal in that country. This is a legal barrier preventing them from marrying their current partner. The person has been refused a TRV to Canada and it is illegal in the Philippines to cohabit with a married person. Those are legal/immigration barriers preventing them from becoming common-law.

2. A person is in a same-sex relationship and lives in a country where homosexuality is illegal. That is a legal barrier preventing them from marrying or becoming common-law with their partner in their own country. The person has been refused a TRV to Canada. That is an immigration barrier preventing them from marrying or becoming common-law with their partner in Canada.

Don't waste IRCC time and resources.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
And if we send the application and is rejected, the money is refunded?
You will lose the sponsorship + applicant fee ($550). Plus any cost to put the app together (certification of docs, translations, etc), and all the time/effort to put app together.

Again you do not qualify as conjugal, so do not bother to even think about applying under this route.

Abster

Jul 12, 2017
Hi, do you think we have a chance to apply conjugal sponsorship,. My BF is canadian but married and divorce can’t be finalized due to financial problems. I’ve been trying to get there but I got 5th times denials. 2 for working permit, 2 for visitors visa and 1 for study permit recently refused. But I never mentioned him on my application that I have BF there. Thank you in advance

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
getting a divorce in Canada isn’t a legal barrier for him. Not being able to afford one isn’t a legal barrier. Your is able to marry you, just unwilling to finalize the divorce. IMO, no you won’t qualify as conjugal, but other can correct me.

Abster

Jul 12, 2017
getting a divorce in Canada isn’t a legal barrier for him. Not being able to afford one isn’t a legal barrier. Your is able to marry you, just unwilling to finalize the divorce. IMO, no you won’t qualify as conjugal, but other can correct me.
Thank you for your thoughts, I’m single and never married or kids. He is having a lot of issue with financial like paying house foreclosure and taxes that’s why divorce not able to start, and I can’t question because maybe to others divorce are easy to process specially if the woman is cooperative, but for him ex wife is not cooperating at all with financial agreement.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you for your thoughts, I’m single and never married or kids. He is having a lot of issue with financial like paying house foreclosure and taxes that’s why divorce not able to start, and I can’t question because maybe to others divorce are easy to process specially if the woman is cooperative, but for him ex wife is not cooperating at all with financial agreement.
IRCC most likely won't see these as real immigration barriers to marriage.

What about common law?

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
If he’s facing a foreclosure and has taxes owing, he probably won’t be able to sponsor until he gets those things cleared up (especially the taxes). He would still need to prove he can support you.

Reactions: Abster and zt2018

Abster

Jul 12, 2017
If he’s facing a foreclosure and has taxes owing, he probably won’t be able to sponsor until he gets those things cleared up (especially the taxes). He would still need to prove he can support you.
Yeah,. I might try to reapply student visa again in God willing. Thank you for the reply! God bless

MDEVGAN

Star Member
Feb 9, 2017
Hello,

I have been legally separated from my spouse for past 2 years and my divorce case is going in court in a city of Ontario. I have been in a conjugal relationship with my partner who resides in India for the past 1 year. I have applied for her TRV but that got rejected. Do you know if I qualify to apply for Conjugal sponsorship as my current marital status does not allow me to marry her and sponsor her as a spouse. My divorce case might be a little lengthy and can take a few more years. My relationship with my partner is genuine who lives at my home back in India with both of us fully dependent on each other in a marriage like relationship.