+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Conjugal Partner Immigration

Mc Raven

Jun 5, 2016
Hi
I am Algerian citizen and my partner is Canadian we both live in the Middle East. I applied for for Permanent Residency and just received my visa to Canada which we are very happy about.

On the Confirmation of Permanent Residency there is a condition #51: "Must cohabit in a conjugal relationship with our sponsor for continuous period of 2 years after the day on which became PR".

What exactly does this mean? As I bought one way ticket to Canada, and my partner a return to go back to work where he lives, our plan was that he will joins me in Canada after one year, will that be possible?

Please advise.

Decoy24601

Champion Member
Aug 13, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-04-2016
AOR Received.
28-04-2016
File Transfer...
SA 27-05-2016
Med's Done....
23-03-2016 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
07-06-2016
LANDED..........
06-07-2016
Edit: Whoops, I just realized you said you had already received your COPR. Congratulations!

As for Condition 51, this refers to after Permanent Residence has already been granted. This just means you have to live with your sponsor in a genuine relationship from the day you land as a permanent resident.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
With Condition 51, what you are proposing is not possible. You cannot live in Canada for the first year after becoming a PR while your partner lives in another country. Cohabit means you have to live together; conjugal means it has to be a marriage-like relationship, not just two roommates.

You could land in Canada, arrange to get your PR card sent to someone in Canada who could then send it to you (or wait in Canada until you get it), then return to live with your partner. You only have to live in Canada two years out of five to keep your PR status. In any case, time spent with your partner outside of Canada counts as fulfilling your residency requirements for the PR.

However, occasionally an applicant will not be allowed to land if the sponsor is not with him or her, if the border agent does not believe that the Canadian sponsor intends to return to live in Canada. It is best for the sponsor to travel with the applicant when the applicant lands, if this might be a concern.

The other consideration is that it is possible that CIC and CBSA will never find out that you two were living apart for the first year.