+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Conjugal Option, Plus Outland vs Inland

degoran

Feb 28, 2017
My question may seem like a softball compared to all the others on this forum but here it goes.

My situation is this: I'm a Canadian citizen and have been in a long distance relationship with my girlfriend for just over a year now. I've visited her twice in Hong Kong, and she's come here twice to visit me. These stays have ranged from two weeks to a month. We very much want a future together but we both have solid careers and that's been the main reason why we haven't committed to one place or the other until now.

My hope is to sponsor her over, but I foresee several challenges ahead. The biggest being the fact that we're not married or common-law, so we can only apply as conjugal and even then we're probably not eligible if you go strictly by definition.

In terms of applying, we could do an outland where she still can maintain her career while awaiting the verdict. My preference would be to do an inland application while she visits this summer. This also affords us the opportunity to live as common law, and potentially get married while she's here.

Of course marriage is the biggest ace in the deck, and this would be the first for either of us so it's not something we'll take lightly.

I believe she can also apply for an OWP once the application is submitted.

Please advise on the best approach for us to take.

Bcboundboy

Aug 16, 2016
degoran said:
My question may seem like a softball compared to all the others on this forum but here it goes.

My situation is this: I'm a Canadian citizen and have been in a long distance relationship with my girlfriend for just over a year now. I've visited her twice in Hong Kong, and she's come here twice to visit me. These stays have ranged from two weeks to a month. We very much want a future together but we both have solid careers and that's been the main reason why we haven't committed to one place or the other until now.

My hope is to sponsor her over, but I foresee several challenges ahead. The biggest being the fact that we're not married or common-law, so we can only apply as conjugal and even then we're probably not eligible if you go strictly by definition.

In terms of applying, we could do an outland where she still can maintain her career while awaiting the verdict. My preference would be to do an inland application while she visits this summer. This also affords us the opportunity to live as common law, and potentially get married while she's here.

Of course marriage is the biggest ace in the deck, and this would be the first for either of us so it's not something we'll take lightly.

I believe she can also apply for an OWP once the application is submitted.

Please advise on the best approach for us to take.
" The biggest being the fact that we're not married or common-law, so we can only apply as conjugal and even then we're probably not eligible if you go strictly by definition. "

You are definitely not eligible. As you have visited each other, you are able to marry, no immigration barriers prevent you from being together, you do not qualify for a conjugal sponsorship. So don't waste any more of your time considering it. It would not be approved.

You must either get married, or live together in one of your countries for a year in order to establish Common Law status. If neither of you can get permits for the other, and you want to work in that time, you must get married in order to sponsor.

If you get married on her visit this summer, you will be able to file an inland application, including an open work permit application. If she arrives with her worldly things, she can expect intensive questioning from CBSA.

If you get married then apply outland, she can continue to work at home, with your long-distance relationship until the PR is approved.

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
Bcboundboy said:
" The biggest being the fact that we're not married or common-law, so we can only apply as conjugal and even then we're probably not eligible if you go strictly by definition. "

You are definitely not eligible. As you have visited each other, you are able to marry, no immigration barriers prevent you from being together, you do not qualify for a conjugal sponsorship. So don't waste any more of your time considering it. It would not be approved.

You must either get married, or live together in one of your countries for a year in order to establish Common Law status. If neither of you can get permits for the other, and you want to work in that time, you must get married in order to sponsor.

If you get married on her visit this summer, you will be able to file an inland application, including an open work permit application. If she arrives with her worldly things, she can expect intensive questioning from CBSA.

If you get married then apply outland, she can continue to work at home, with your long-distance relationship until the PR is approved.
+1!