+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Confusion about what documents to get proofed/signed/witnessed?!

Mrs.Purcy

Star Member
Apr 18, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-05-14
Med's Done....
01-24-14
The application talks about getting documents signed by a lawyer, judge, registered person etc. Do he have to get my marriage certificate copy proofed and signed? Also, what other documents need to be proofed/signed?

What if he doesn't have get any of his documents signed? How will this effect the process? Also is it costly to get all of this for someone to proof/sign documents?

lleahdoll

Nov 12, 2012
USA
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
Sep 9th, 2014
Doc's Request.
May 5th, 2015 (CSQ requested)
AOR Received.
Oct 14th, 2014
File Transfer...
Nov 14th, 2014
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
July 29th, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
DM: Aug 1st, 2015 COPR: Aug 6th, 2015
LANDED..........
Sep 1st, 2015
I was super confused about this as well when I first started researching. Then someone on this forum cleared it up and also I re-read the instruction guides and it was very clear.
You only need to get notarized/certified copies if you get something translated.

Any seniors, please please correct me if I'm wrong. Cause if I am I better get started on getting things notarized! But as far as I know just photocopy marriage certificate, birth certificates, etc. :)

Mrs.Purcy

Star Member
Apr 18, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-05-14
Med's Done....
01-24-14
Also if my sponsorship gets approved (first step) how will we know? Will they send us an email? Me the email? Or will they forward a letter to where I will be staying in Canada or forwarding the letter to where my husband is in Europe while I am back in Canada settled and awaiting his approval?
:-X

Mrs.Purcy

Star Member
Apr 18, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-05-14
Med's Done....
01-24-14
lleahdoll said:
I was super confused about this as well when I first started researching. Then someone on this forum cleared it up and also I re-read the instruction guides and it was very clear.
You only need to get notarized/certified copies if you get something translated.

Any seniors, please please correct me if I'm wrong. Cause if I am I better get started on getting things notarized! But as far as I know just photocopy marriage certificate, birth certificates, etc. :)
So what does that mean haha? Sorry if that sounds dumb. We don't need to translate anything so therefore do we need to get anything signed? Our marriage cert. was signed by the judge and whatnot who married us in Canada.

lleahdoll

Nov 12, 2012
USA
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
Sep 9th, 2014
Doc's Request.
May 5th, 2015 (CSQ requested)
AOR Received.
Oct 14th, 2014
File Transfer...
Nov 14th, 2014
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
July 29th, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
DM: Aug 1st, 2015 COPR: Aug 6th, 2015
LANDED..........
Sep 1st, 2015
Mrs.Purcy said:
So what does that mean haha? Sorry if that sounds dumb. We don't need to translate anything so therefore do we need to get anything signed? Our marriage cert. was signed by the judge and whatnot who married us in Canada.
Nope as long as all your documents are in either English or French (Canada's 2 official languages) then you're okay to just photocopy them! For example, I have a printer that is also a scanner so I'm just scanning the documents and then printing a copy.

When you fill out the forms you'll have to put your address BUT if you give them an email (this is ALL in the guides) then they will correspond everything through email. Although I have read other people say they got mail even though they included their email.

Let me give you some links that should help you out. I can answer any questions. I know how confusing it is at the beginning.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/3900ETOC.asp (this first link is the complete guide for YOU, the sponsor. It'll tell you all the forms you need and how to fill them out.)

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/3999Etoc.asp (this link is for the Principal Applicant, your husband)

JRPW

Star Member
Jul 9, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
Med's Request
2013 (re-med)
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
lleahdoll said:

It depends on what is being translated. I sent in a certified English translation of my Japanese marriage license. I didn't include an Option C as I was living in Japan when the wife and I sent in her PR application. In lieu of the Option C, I sent in my pay stubs over one year with English translations that I did. I explained in a letter that I am a Japanese to English translator. No issues.

Mrs.Purcy

Star Member
Apr 18, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-05-14
Med's Done....
01-24-14
lleahdoll said:
Nope as long as all your documents are in either English or French (Canada's 2 official languages) then you're okay to just photocopy them! For example, I have a printer that is also a scanner so I'm just scanning the documents and then printing a copy.

When you fill out the forms you'll have to put your address BUT if you give them an email (this is ALL in the guides) then they will correspond everything through email. Although I have read other people say they got mail even though they included their email.

Let me give you some links that should help you out. I can answer any questions. I know how confusing it is at the beginning.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/3900ETOC.asp (this first link is the complete guide for YOU, the sponsor. It'll tell you all the forms you need and how to fill them out.)

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/3999Etoc.asp (this link is for the Principal Applicant, your husband)
Great thanks I will read and if any further questions, I will reply! It's 4:12 am here (5 hours ahead of toronto) need sleep