+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Confusion about affidavit and notarized translation

Camis

Nov 16, 2014
I'm about to translate my wife's birth certificate here in Brazil for sponsorship.

The official guide states the translation must be accompanied by an affidavit swearing to the accuracy of the translation and the language proficiency of the translator. The affidavit must be sworn in the presence of a notary public, since it's done outside of Canada.

Now, does the Affidavit also need to be translated or just the translated birth certificate? How does this work?

Thank you.

countrygal

Sep 26, 2015
Mexico
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 8th, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 23rd, 2016
File Transfer...
Feb 26th,2016-AOR2 May 3rd,2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
October 8th,2015
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
Hoping for August 2016!!!
Hello!

I had the same confusion but finally figured it out. Okay... So when you go to your translator you need to ask for the translation of the document and the affidativ. The affidativ will be in the language you request so you will not have to get it translated. All the affidativ says is something like " I FIRST NAME -LAST NAME(translators name) have known the English language for 20+ years and the translations are at the best to my knowledge" something along those lines. And of course it will be signed by the translator. So just tell your translator that you will need an affidativ for each translated document in which ever language you need. Take the translated doc and the affidativ and get it notarized and that's it!!! Feel free to inbox me (I can send you pics or explain better) trust me I was soooo confused with this as well! Hope that helps!

Reactions: Zcvxcv

Zoe_C

Dec 26, 2018
Hello, it's quite an old thread but I would like to know if it's necessary to notarized the affidavit because, won't the notary legalize it in my homecountry language (Spanish)? Here the official translators include an affidavit on each translation, so I'm a bit confused. Thank you.