+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Conflict regarding my immigration status in Canada....help needed

shikharpandey

Star Member
May 23, 2019
Hello Everyone

As of right now, I am in a huge dilemma about what I should do about my immigration status in Canada. My family along with me have lived in Canada as PRs between 2006 and 2007 (when we went back to India). In fall 2017 I applied for a study visa and received it without any problem and came to Canada as an International student on study permit for my masters which I completed recently and applied for a Work permit a week back.

My parents applied for their visitor Visa a week back in India and got a message from the High Commission that they have been permanent residents since 2006 (although their PR cards have expired) and either they have to renounce their permanent residence or apply for Permanent Resident Travel Document (for which they don't qualify). I verified this issue from CIC. It was pretty much clear for my parents about renouncing the PR status but CIC informed me as of right now MY status in Canada is that of permanent resident and I also have a study permit and an application of work permit in process as well. They gave me 2 options either apply for renouncing for my PR status or I can apply for a PR card. I was shocked at the 2nd option since I was here as an international student all this time but after I saw the rules and regulations, I think I can apply for a PR card (since I have lived in Canada now for last almost 2 years, even though I entered Canada as a Student ad have a study permit).

Can somebody tell me what would be right for me ?? Do people like me in my case really get a PR Card ?? even after returning to Canada after 10 years after leaving and that too as an international student even though my status is showing as a permanent resident according to CIC? Or should I renounce my PR status now since I have already applied for a post graduate work permit and this would create a problem in that??

I really need assistance regarding this issue. I request somebody to please help. (sorry for the long post)