+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Conditional Discharge - Canadian Citizenship Application experience

lovekumar86

May 8, 2019
hi, During your 5-year eligibility period, did you spend time serving a sentence (Type of sentence - Imprisonment, Parole, Probation, other)

This is very confusing if I have to answer yes or no . Here is my situation - I was charged under Assault, 266 CCC on 5th August 2018 in Canada. I was bailed out the same day morning (not in the eligibility period). The charges were unjustified and were the result of misunderstanding, as I had never assaulted anyone. I used my legal option to fight the allegations against me, and the case was ultimately withdrawn with S. 810 Peace Bond for 1 year on April 25, 2019 (during the eligibility period). My 5 years eligibility period started from December 24, 2018. Not sure if this is considered as probation or any other type of sentence. Please guide in this situation If yes, then do we calculate from Dec 24, 2018 to April 25, 2019 as Probation? or peace bond was for 1 year. so do I need to calculate another 1 year? i.e., until April 25, 2020.

(Note: I am PR since Feb 20, 2020) Though I am physically present in Canada for more than 1095 days in any case but I want to make sure that I calculate accurately to avoid miscalculation. Please guide. thank you so much for all your help

DevH

Dec 23, 2023
hi, During your 5-year eligibility period, did you spend time serving a sentence (Type of sentence - Imprisonment, Parole, Probation, other)

This is very confusing if I have to answer yes or no . Here is my situation - I was charged under Assault, 266 CCC on 5th August 2018 in Canada. I was bailed out the same day morning (not in the eligibility period). The charges were unjustified and were the result of misunderstanding, as I had never assaulted anyone. I used my legal option to fight the allegations against me, and the case was ultimately withdrawn with S. 810 Peace Bond for 1 year on April 25, 2019 (during the eligibility period). My 5 years eligibility period started from December 24, 2018. Not sure if this is considered as probation or any other type of sentence. Please guide in this situation If yes, then do we calculate from Dec 24, 2018 to April 25, 2019 as Probation? or peace bond was for 1 year. so do I need to calculate another 1 year? i.e., until April 25, 2020.

(Note: I am PR since Feb 20, 2020) Though I am physically present in Canada for more than 1095 days in any case but I want to make sure that I calculate accurately to avoid miscalculation. Please guide. thank you so much for all your help
Did your peace bond contain any probation conditions that required you to report to the probation/corrections office? If Yes, your answer should be YES and if you were just given a peace bond without probation conditions then your answer should be No to my knowledge (I'm not a lawyer). If you don't know what probation means, I'm guessing your peace bond did not carry any probation conditions (which means you were asked to report to the probation office, and an probation officer was assigned to monitor your case who requires you to report to them regularly. You were arrested when the allegations were laid and then released on bail conditions, this is typical police procedure which does not mean you were sentenced (make sure you purge your records if the peace bond has expired). I was in a similar situation, as I disputed the allegations/charges which were later withdrawn but made an uninformed decision to enter into a peace bond without realizing that the probation conditions were actually a sentence. It makes no sense that they sentenced me without proving me guilty nor I admitted the guilt but unfortunately, I didn't have a lot of choice as I was told that there is always a risk of getting convicted in a trial no matter what the odds are, so peace bond was still a good option.

lovekumar86

May 8, 2019
Did your peace bond contain any probation conditions that required you to report to the probation/corrections office? If Yes, your answer should be YES and if you were just given a peace bond without probation conditions then your answer should be No to my knowledge (I'm not a lawyer). If you don't know what probation means, I'm guessing your peace bond did not carry any probation conditions (which means you were asked to report to the probation office, and an probation officer was assigned to monitor your case who requires you to report to them regularly. You were arrested when the allegations were laid and then released on bail conditions, this is typical police procedure which does not mean you were sentenced (make sure you purge your records if the peace bond has expired). I was in a similar situation, as I disputed the allegations/charges which were later withdrawn but made an uninformed decision to enter into a peace bond without realizing that the probation conditions were actually a sentence. It makes no sense that they sentenced me without proving me guilty nor I admitted the guilt but unfortunately, I didn't have a lot of choice as I was told that there is always a risk of getting convicted in a trial no matter what the odds are, so peace bond was still a good option.
@DevH Thank you so much for sharing this. Sorry to know that you were sentenced without proving you guilty. I did not report to anyone. I just hired a criminal lawyer to fight for my case. That means I should answer No correct? My peace bond was for 1 year with 2 conditions (i). no contact order with my ex wife and (ii)Not possess any weapons as defined by criminal code of conduct except with prior written orally revocable consent of my exwife to be filed with officer incharge or through the presence of legal counsel, or through a valid family court order for 1 year. After completing my peace bond, I had my fingerprints and photograph destroyed from the records.

DevH

Dec 23, 2023
@DevH Thank you so much for sharing this. Sorry to know that you were sentenced without proving you guilty. I did not report to anyone. I just hired a criminal lawyer to fight for my case. That means I should answer No correct? My peace bond was for 1 year with 2 conditions (i). no contact order with my ex wife and (ii)Not possess any weapons as defined by criminal code of conduct except with prior written orally revocable consent of my exwife to be filed with officer incharge or through the presence of legal counsel, or through a valid family court order for 1 year. After completing my peace bond, I had my fingerprints and photograph destroyed from the records.
Thanks. I don't think the conditions you mentioned on the peace bond constitute any sentencing. In the application, the sentence is defined in terms of time spent in prison, on parole, and probation. In my opinion, none of this applies in your case. However, the law is complex and I would advise you to have a formal consultation with an immigration lawyer to be on the safer side if you need to disclose your case/expired peace bond. This is because the IRCC can accuse you of withholding material facts and deem you inadmissible. For example if I read this: Do I Need to Disclose my Withdrawn Criminal Charges to the IRCC? - Invicta Law. Your goal is to avoid complications, so the best way to get the peace of mind is to seek legal advise (it's worth it to spend 300-500$ than to fight an unfavorable IRCC's decision later on). The last thing you want in this country, especially if you are in immigrant is to deal with the legal matters.

In my case, I have completed my probation but when it comes to whether or not I should declare, I see conflicting information. When I read this Physical Presence Calculator (cic.gc.ca), it clears says I don't need to declare it to IRCC and the time spent on probation can be counted towards my physical presence. However, in the citizenship application (online form), it also says "Time spent in prison, on parole or on probation won’t count toward your physical presence." This is contradictory information from the same source (IRCC). I'm going to seek legal advice.
(
In summary, while these forums are helpful to share experiences, no one can give you legal advice. Everyone's circumstances are different and IRCC reviews the applications case to case (they're quite stringent and often apply a cookie-cutter approach). If you have ever been tagged in the criminal justice system, and while we may like to think that there is no criminal record, there is a permanent court record which is accessible to the IRCC or other govt organization (to say the least). Therefore, it's best to get legal advice to secure what matters to you. Good luck.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
I will go a long way, a very long way, to avoid answering the questions asked. Sorry.

But in doing so, hopefully I can explain and illuminate some things that will help those in situations like @DevH and @lovekumar86 to better answer their own questions or see what they need to do in order to better answer their questions (which could range from reviewing what they know and understand, to inspecting the court records, or perhaps getting the assistance of a lawyer).

Some is repetitive of recent posts in another thread.

I was charged with a criminal offense which I disputed and the charges were later withdrawn while I was still on trial and hence no conviction or criminal record. I was given a peace bond but it unfortunately carried probation conditions which I had no choice but to follow. While the peace bond is still active for another 3 months, I have now completed probation requirements and the judge deleted these conditions from my peace bond.

Do you think if I should wait till the peace bond expires AND once my police records are purged? I'm getting a sense that I can apply now and I don't need to disclose any additional information (regarding the past charges/probation). The questions under Prohibitions are all NO in my case, but I wanted to double check and make sure my understanding is accurate.
During your 5-year eligibility period, did you spend time serving a sentence (Type of sentence - Imprisonment, Parole, Probation, other)
This is very confusing if I have to answer yes or no . Here is my situation - I was . . .
However, I also found the below on this link: Physical Presence Calculator (cic.gc.ca) which says "Time on probation as a result of a conditional discharge may count towards physical presence if the probation was completed successfully (i.e. you were not charged with a breach of probation or a failure to comply during that probation). This time does not have to be declared for the purposes of the physical presence calculator.

Obviously, there is clear contradiction.

In summary, while these forums are helpful to share experiences, no one can give you legal advice. Everyone's circumstances are different and IRCC reviews the applications case to case (they're quite stringent and often apply a cookie-cutter approach). If you have ever been tagged in the criminal justice system, and while we may like to think that there is no criminal record, there is a permanent court record which is accessible to the IRCC or other govt organization (to say the least). Therefore, it's best to get legal advice to secure what matters to you. Good luck.
In a forum setting like this, these matters are indeed difficult to address (let alone definitively answer) precisely for the reasons stated in the last quote above, from @DevH -- so much depends on the specific details in the individual case, which can and do vary widely from one person to another, and which depend very much on the precise content of court records, which in turn can be cryptic or otherwise not easily understood, and which can depend on local practice (some of the particular procedures vary in different courts and among different Crown attorneys). The safer approach is to employ (pay for) competent legal assistance (at the very least for advice, if not representation), but even then it can be tricky navigating the oft times complex and sometimes obscure interface between the criminal justice system and immigration.

Probation, in particular, can be tricky, especially since the term "probation" is used in different ways, including in many contexts which do not constitute the court ordered sentence of probation which is subject to Section 21(a) in the Citizenship Act, which is here: https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/C-29/page-4.html#h-82034 and which refers to time "under a probation order" that is "under any enactment in force in Canada," or subject to Section 22(1)(a)(i) in the Citizenship Act, which is here: https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/C-29/page-5.html#docCont and which refers to the same (with different application, thus different importance). Meanwhile, the manner in which probation is ordered appears to vary widely in practice, including the extent to which it is imposed (formally or not-so-formally), enforced, or made a matter of record, including terms governing its termination.

IRCC's definition of "probation" does not help much. It is here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/canadian-citizenship/terms-definitions-related.html#p Except it does state that probation is a "sentence" served by an "offender." So if the outcome is there is no offence, because there is no conviction for an offence, that means no probation because there is no sentence served by an offender. A term of probation in the meantime, pending final disposition is probation as referenced in the Citizenship Act, but is not once the case concludes and there is no conviction of an offence.

For purposes of completing the physical presence calculator, the latter leads to a significant FAQ cited and linked by @DevH; the FAQs for the physical presence calculator are here https://eservices.cic.gc.ca/rescalc/redir.do?redir=faq and in part C. Q& A 11, and as @DevH referenced, the answer to that FAQ states:
Time on probation as a result of a conditional discharge may count towards physical presence if the probation was completed successfully (i.e. you were not charged with a breach of probation or a failure to comply during that probation). This time does not have to be declared for the purposes of the physical presence calculator.
While applying this can be complicated or confusing in some circumstances, for a PR/prospective citizenship applicant who was charged with an offence resulting in conditional discharge, it is not complicated: once all the conditions are fulfilled AND the charge is formally discharged in the court's records, it is as if there was no period of probation. Will address further below.

Another source of confusion can arise from the manner in which the courts handle what many might consider minor offences (but which constitute hybrid offences that can potentially be prosecuted as serious crimes and for which lengthy terms of imprisonment may be possible), as this also varies considerably, making it difficult to extrapolate much at all from reports based on personal experience.

Meanwhile, there is a significant risk that almost any formal interaction with law enforcement or involvement in the criminal justice system will be flagged during the criminal history checks done in screening citizenship applicants. Thus, for example, background checks attendant processing a citizenship application can, and quite likely will identify and flag any criminal charges even though the charges were dismissed, such as attendant a successfully completed conditional discharge, while in contrast the applicant does not need to disclose probation imposed as part of the conditional discharge.

So, I cannot specifically answer questions like that posed by @lovekumar86; I cannot reliably advise if and when, or what, to disclose in the application or attendant completing the physical presence calculation. I can say that what @lovekumar86 reports appears to indicate there was no probation, but rather a discharge (perhaps not even a conditional discharge) attendant issuance of a peace bond, which would mean it is OK to answer no to the did-you-do-time question. But these situations vary so widely, and given all that I describe above, @lovekumar86 will need to work through the situation, perhaps with the assistance of a lawyer, and figure out what to disclose, or not, depending on the actual disposition of the case as documented by the court's official records.

Bottom-line: First Stop the Court's Record.

What is in the court's record is key information, the critical and most important information.

BUT Just as Important: Understanding the Question and Giving an Honest Answer to That Question.

All of which warrants explanation and further observations . . . to be continued . . .

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Bottom-line: First Stop the Court's Record.

BUT Just as Important: Understanding the Question and Giving the Honest Answer.

What is in the court's record is key information, the critical and most important information. It should include specific information as to what has been charged, what the disposition is (which disposition can be a final order, or it can be conditional, and if conditional potentially still subject to further proceedings pending the conditions being fulfilled), and depending on the disposition, other key information including terms of any conditional disposition, and sentencing terms in the event of a conviction. Conditional dispositions can often be difficult to unravel and understand, especially if they include informally monitored conditions.

I am not sure, but it also seems some of the anecdotal reporting indicates the courts can be somewhat sloppy in properly or completely documenting the final disposition in conditional discharge cases.

Meanwhile, unless charges are still pending and it is in a conversation with a lawyer, save any "but I was actually innocent" or "not so guilty" explanations for friends and family, or maybe prospective employers (but probably not), or before the mirror if need be (I have tended to be of the latter sort, sigh). What matters is what is in the records. Any "yeah, that, BUT . . ." effort to qualify or characterize the actual disposition, as any more or less than what it actually is on its face, will NOT help, and it typically tends to send the wrong message (no matter how true it is).

This is very confusing if I have to answer yes or no . Here is my situation - I was charged under Assault, 266 CCC on 5th August 2018 in Canada. I was bailed out the same day morning (not in the eligibility period). The charges were unjustified and were the result of misunderstanding, as I had never assaulted anyone. I used my legal option to fight the allegations against me, and the case was ultimately withdrawn with S. 810 Peace Bond for 1 year on April 25, 2019 (during the eligibility period). My 5 years eligibility period started from December 24, 2018. Not sure if this is considered as probation or any other type of sentence.
As addressed in the previous post, it appears the charges were, in effect, dismissed. Dismissed (withdrawn) attendant the issuance of a peace bond that (I am guessing) you agreed to comply with. NO probation. Which probably answers your question EXCEPT this is totally dependent on what is actually in the court record. So, it is what is actually in the court record that matters here, and yeah I realize I am being repetitive.
Also note, for example, no need to mention that the "charges were unjustified and were the result of misunderstanding, as I had never assaulted anyone." That being not much more relevant*** than what colour the sky was that day. The record is what is, and it is what is documented in the record, including the actual disposition in particular, that tells the tale, all that matters for immigration and citizenship purposes that is.​
***Relevant in the sense of what is relevant for purposes of immigration and citizenship processing

If probation is part of the disposition in a criminal case, there will be information in the court's record showing this. If there is no indication of probation, by name, the odds are high there was no probation. Moreover, generally, anyone who is subject to probation in a criminal proceeding will usually know, it will be clear enough to at least grasp that probation of some sort was imposed. (Even when it is a very informal and unmonitored probation, there should be enough said in the proceedings for the person involved to grasp they were subject to some kind of probation.)

Meanwhile, many (perhaps most) who get tangled up in criminal court proceedings do not get or have a copy of what is actually in the court record. That's usually OK. Many times a copy of the court record itself is not needed to adequately know and understand what happened, including the disposition; moreover, the records themselves can be cryptic or confusing, which may require a lawyer's explanation. Nonetheless, for many who go through this what they understood, based on their participation in the proceedings, is sufficient and reliable enough to enable them to make the decisions they need to make (like deciding how to answer questions about their criminal history). For those who are not so sure, they can review their paperwork, and if that does not suffice they can then go to the effort of examining what is in the court records, or talk to a lawyer (preferably a lawyer involved in the case).

But it is ultimately a matter of what is in the court's record, and otherwise answering the question honestly, based on one's best understanding of what the question is and what is the truthful answer to that question.

Then there is the matter of "probation" imposed attendant a conditional discharge . . . leading to . . .

I was charged with a criminal offense which I disputed and the charges were later withdrawn while I was still on trial and hence no conviction or criminal record. I was given a peace bond but it unfortunately carried probation conditions which I had no choice but to follow.
. . .
Physical Presence Calculator (cic.gc.ca) which says "Time on probation as a result of a conditional discharge may count towards physical presence if the probation was completed successfully (i.e. you were not charged with a breach of probation or a failure to comply during that probation). This time does not have to be declared for the purposes of the physical presence calculator.

Obviously, there is clear contradiction.
There is no contradiction. Some nuance and complications, yes. Some built-in confusion, a bit. For now (please forgive the repetitiveness), what the FAQ answer (you referenced and which is linked above) states:
Time on probation as a result of a conditional discharge may count towards physical presence if the probation was completed successfully (i.e. you were not charged with a breach of probation or a failure to comply during that probation). This time does not have to be declared for the purposes of the physical presence calculator.

One is compelled to hate the latent ambiguity in the "i.e. . . . " Why IRCC does this is a bureaucratic mystery.

But most of this simply turns on it being a probation that was successfully completed, which will be reflected in the court's record by the final disposition dismissing/discharging the charges.

The latter does the deed. When the court enters a final order dismissing/discharging the criminal offence, that means there was no offence, no sentence imposed for an offence. So no probation pursuant to the IRCC definition of probation, since that involves a "sentence" served by an "offender." No offence, no offender, no sentence, no probation . . . even if there was probation.

Caveats/Pitfalls: A big one (there may be others): period during which the final discharge is still pending. The entry of a conditional discharge order or judgment or disposition (whatever term is used) into the court record might NOT (at least not necessarily) constitute a final discharge of the alleged offence. As long as any condition is pending, the offence is technically still pending.

This can affect not only the status of any probation ordered attendant the conditions imposed, but can mean there is a prohibition, and if the underlying alleged offence is a hybrid offence, it must be disclosed in response to questions about prohibitions EVEN IF in the particular circumstances there is actually no prohibition. (For the prohibitions part of the application form there is box to enter an explanation of any [yes] responses.)

. . . and more . . .

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
My worry is that the application form does not have this FAQ or any clarification, so could IRCC potentially accuse of misrepresentation/withholding material facts if they find out through background check (as they'll most likely). I'm thinking it would be a good idea to get some legal advise to be on the safer side. I have no intensions to hide information or mispresent anything (I have suffered a lot for a crime that I didn't commit), but at the same time, I want to make sure that I disclose only what's required.
As noted elsewhere, I understand this concern.

I cannot say, for any particular individual including you, how they should approach their personal situation. The variability in details is just too extensive to evaluate in the abstract, even if I was an expert, which I am not.

Applicants can submit a supplemental page, or what some call a Letter-of-Explanation (LoE), with their application. And in that disclose such details the applicant is worried there might be some misunderstanding about. Better to figure out the right approach (even if doing that involves paying for legal counsel) and follow through with that, but for any applicant who is not confident about the way they are answering any question in the application or in the presence calculator, there is the LoE option.

In general, usually better to lean toward disclosure. In most situations, there is no harm done by disclosing something that did not need to be disclosed. And the converse: if it is something that will cause an issue, odds are very high that the applicant is required to disclose it.

That said, in regards to a period of probation imposed attendant a conditional discharge, on one hand the citizenship applicant does not need to disclose this so long as all the conditions were met and the alleged offence was in fact finally discharged without any conviction. But, the fact of the criminal proceeding itself will almost certainly be flagged in background checks. Might this trigger concerns the applicant is failing to disclose material information?

Probably NOT, so long as the criminal history correctly reflects a final discharge without conviction. What if sloppy court practices mean the RCMP criminal history is not up-to-date, failing to reflect total discharge? This seems to be the biggest risk. The problem is that checking off "yes" to the did-you-do-time question, in the physical presence calculator, will result in that period of time (on probation pending completing conditions of the discharge) being excluded, not counted. There is no way to check "yes" but complete the calculation to get credit for that period. Checking "no" but including a LoE with the application, disclosing there were criminal charges resulting in a conditional discharge that has been finalized, should sufficiently disclose enough.

MEANWHILE . . . overall, in MOST scenarios, for MOST of those tangled in these sorts of things, once the affected person understands the outcome of the criminal case, or its status otherwise (including potentially being an open case if the conditions in a conditional discharge are still outstanding, not yet successfully completed), they should be able to revisit the question and know how to answer it based on the specific details of their case (not the details of the underlying events, but details about the status of charges and the court's disposition).

There is, as well, the option of waiting longer to apply, waiting until enough time has passed it is clear that there is no need to disclose the matter. This may be particularly attractive for a criminal matter more than four years ago (so not in scope of prohibitions) but less than five (still in scope for physical presence calculator did-you-do-time question), which would not require waiting all that much longer (for those settled in Canada and not planning an exit once they have a passport in hand, a few months will go by quite quickly). CAUTION: particular attention should be given finalization dates before relying on the passage of time to avoid disclosure. As noted before, for example, date the order for a conditional discharge is made is NOT necessarily, not even usually, the date of final discharge; that will be later.

Moreover, if anyone could clarify what exactly is the purpose of the question # 6 "In the 5 years immediately before the date of your citizenship application, were you prohibited from being granted citizenship or taking the oath of citizenship because of misrepresentation or withholding material circumstances" Should I say YES because I was on probation and hence prohibited from being granted citizenship or NO because this prohibition only relates to misrepresentation or withholding circumstances for a past application? The question is not quite clear or maybe not reading it correctly.
First, at the risk of being overly-picayune, while considering the "purpose" of a question can help a person better understand what is being asked, the question should nonetheless be answered based on what it specifically asks, not based on what its purpose is. With some exceptions.

Here the reference to "purpose" makes little difference, but in other contexts this can be an important distinction. That is, in figuring out how to answer questions, best to focus on what the question actually asks, NOT why IRCC is asking. Understanding why can help understand the question, but what the question actually asks dictates how to answer it.

Your instincts are correct. Item 6 is not asking whether there were circumstances constituting a prohibition in the preceding five years, but specifically whether the applicant was determined to be prohibited for misrepresentation in the process of applying for citizenship. A PR is prohibited from being granted citizenship for a period of five years following the date a previous application was denied on grounds of misrepresentation. Note, this is about misrepresentation made in the citizenship application process itself; other misrepresentations made in the course of coming to Canada and getting status in Canada would not only be grounds for denying a citizenship application, but can be grounds for taking away PR status and being deported.

ROmaGa

Jan 24, 2024
@can902 I had applied for my citizenship and my husband falsely charged me with strangling choking and assault, I haven't done strangling, When he went outside he did strangling to himself to get mark on his neck and he always made proofs of our fights every time.
I dont know if i should fight or plea guilty for the crime i haven't done because the crown mentioned 6 month house arrest and 1 year probation if i plea guilty at initial stage...

I don't know if i win or lose, what should i do, Im on PR status and i don't wanna lose my citizenship?

PeterJNF

Feb 18, 2024
Good Afternoon Can902,

How is the bail period counted in physical presence calculator? Did you mention the period in the calculation? or we don't need to mention the period.

Regards,

Peter

Gquest019

Apr 19, 2017
@can902 from when you gave your fingerprint, how long did it take for your account to be updated? How much after did you receive the interview? and how long until citizenship approval and oath.

Overall, I'm interested to know your timeline.

Jacknotinabox

Mar 29, 2024
Hi All,

I recently had my Canadian citizenship application approved and would like to share my experience. It may help someone who might find themselves in the situation that I was in.

I landed in Canada as a PR in 2016. I was charged (indicted) of a crime as a PR in 2017. I elected to plead not guilty and take the charges to court, but lost unfortunately. Thankfully, the courts gave me a conditional discharge in 2021 (court cases in Canada do take that long) with 1 year probation. I completed my probation successfully in 2022, and applied for citizenship right after, because I knew I met all the residency requirements and other citizenship requirements etc.

As per the Canadian Criminal Code, once the probation is successfully completed, there is no conviction. Though, I still have a criminal record for another 2 years or so before it is wiped clean. The criminal record is cleared 3 years after the day of completing probation. So, even though I am not convicted, my police certificate does show a record. It specifically read, 'the crime' - 'conditional discharge with probation for 1 year' on my Police record.

I am sharing this because I want to help others who may find themselves in a predicament like mine. If you are given a conditional (or absolute, which is even easier/better) discharge, you can still apply for citizenship, given your probation ends before the oath. When I applied, I had a criminal record. As I expected, IRCC requested fingerprints, and an interview. I was asked in the interview about what happened. And I answered truthfully. The officer confirmed, that because I was conditionally discharged and had completed my probation, I was not prohibited from becoming a Canadian Citizen and that my application was fine. I also want to point out, that you do not have to wait the 3 years for your criminal record to clear. As long as you're done with your probation, you are good to apply. In fact, you can even apply during your probation, but you will not be able to make the oath until you can prove that you successfully completed your probation with no breaches. You also do not have to wait for the 4 year period rule that is listed under prohibitions. The rule reads:

• in the 4 years before you apply, you were convictedof an offence outside Canada that’s equivalent to an indictable offence in Canada. This applies
    • even if you were pardoned or granted amnesty
    • regardless of when we receive your application
I completed my probation successfully, and therefore no conviction, and therefore this rule did not apply for me. I did not need a lawyer to help me apply either. I applied myself. My application was approved in under a year. So my application wasn't even deemed non-routine. Even though I thought it might be. It wasn't at all difficult.

Needless to say, try not to get charged at all nor be stupid like me. Makes things easier.

Hope this helps!
Thank you for your detailed post. You specifically mention "In fact, you can even apply during your probation, but you will not be able to make the oath until you can prove that you successfully completed your probation with no breaches. "

I am given a conditional discharge and still serving Probation. Can I apply while on probation as you say because CIC website says that I cannot apply. For clarity, I am aware that I cannot be a citizen or take the Oath until I have completed my probation !

Apr 3, 2024
All my dear friends here,

I came to Canada in November 2017 and received PR card in November 2019.
He was convicted by the court in June 2022 for fighting with someone in the street, but there was no prison term and no criminal record. I was only probated for one year (reported to the community management center once a month), and the probation ended in June 2023.
I have never left Canada since I came to Canada. Experts, can I apply for citizenship immediately in this situation? Thanks!