+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Complicated PR renewal question - a year outside Canada and remote U.S. job

mastersboy

Star Member
Oct 20, 2014
I am a Indian citizen and a Canadian PR. My wife is a U.S. citizen and a Canadian Permanent Resident. We both became Canadian PRs in 2018. I want to highlight the below before asking my question:

1) My wife has already spend around 10 months outside of Canada since becoming a PR in 2018, and is now currently living and working in Canada since past 1.5 years. She will definitely have over 730 days of residency by the time she renews her PR. By the time she renews her PR, she would have possibly spent a year (including future vacations/family visits to U.S.) outside Canada.

2) She is getting very generous job offers from the U.S. that are offering her an option to work remotely from Canada. Given the exchange rate, we want her to take the remote U.S. job.

Now, given the fact that she'll have a year outside Canada when she renews her PR, and if she accepts a U.S. job and works remotely from Canada, would that cause any issues (extra scrutiny, possible denial) for her PR renewal or Canadian citizenship application? Would a combination of factors #1 & #2 mentioned above complicate her PR renewal even though she'll meet the residency requirements?

In general have we seen anyone have issues proving residency days if they work remotely for a U.S. firm while they live in Canada?

Inviting @dpenabill, @badar14, @zardoz, @YVR123, @Bs65, @Regina, @mats, @canuck78, @scylla, @canuck_in_uk, @legalfalcon for your valuable opinions.

Thanks!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am a Indian citizen and a Canadian PR. My wife is a U.S. citizen and a Canadian Permanent Resident. We both became Canadian PRs in 2018. I want to highlight the below before asking my question:

1) My wife has already spend around 10 months outside of Canada since becoming a PR in 2018, and is now currently living and working in Canada since past 1.5 years. She will definitely have over 730 days of residency by the time she renews her PR. By the time she renews her PR, she would have possibly spent a year (including future vacations/family visits to U.S.) outside Canada.

2) She is getting very generous job offers from the U.S. that are offering her an option to work remotely from Canada. Given the exchange rate, we want her to take the remote U.S. job.

Now, given the fact that she'll have a year outside Canada when she renews her PR, and if she accepts a U.S. job and works remotely from Canada, would that cause any issues (extra scrutiny, possible denial) for her PR renewal or Canadian citizenship application? Would a combination of factors #1 & #2 mentioned above complicate her PR renewal even though she'll meet the residency requirements?

In general have we seen anyone have issues proving residency days if they work remotely for a U.S. firm while they live in Canada?

Inviting @dpenabill, @badar14, @zardoz, @YVR123, @Bs65, @Regina, @mats, @canuck78, @scylla, @canuck_in_uk, @legalfalcon for your valuable opinions.

Thanks!
If she is getting paid as a US citizen working in the US while living in Canada could create problems if, for example, you want to sponsor a parent or even getting supervisa for a parent. Currently it doesn't create an issue for citizenship or PR.

mastersboy

Star Member
Oct 20, 2014
If she is getting paid as a US citizen working in the US while living in Canada could create problems if, for example, you want to sponsor a parent or even getting supervisa for a parent. Currently it doesn't create an issue for citizenship or PR.
hanks! This is what I am wondering. We don't care about super visa etc. Although she'll work from Canada for first few months of her U.S. job before moving to the U.S., she may get paid by her U.S. employer as an U.S.C. living in the U.S. When we apply for her PR renewal, Would her U.S. tax status matter for counting the number of days she worked for U.S. job remotely even though she lived in Canada?

We expect her to be above the PRO by 40-100 days, and at least 160 days where she lived in Canada, while working for the U.S. employer, so we are expecting scrutiny but want to avoid denial. We want these 160 days counted towards her PRO as she lived in Canada.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
hanks! This is what I am wondering. We don't care about super visa etc. Although she'll work from Canada for first few months of her U.S. job before moving to the U.S., she may get paid by her U.S. employer as an U.S.C. living in the U.S. When we apply for her PR renewal, Would her U.S. tax status matter for counting the number of days she worked for U.S. job remotely even though she lived in Canada?

We expect her to be above the PRO by 40-100 days, and at least 160 days where she lived in Canada, while working for the U.S. employer, so we are expecting scrutiny but want to avoid denial. We want these 160 days counted towards her PRO as she lived in Canada.
You must keep proof of when she has been in Canada to include when you apply for PR renewal. Expect extra scrutiny.

Reactions: mastersboy