+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Complicated issues, including health questions

SuzyQ

Jan 18, 2008
Hi, everyone -

This is my first post, so please excuse any inadvertent blunders.

My daughter and I wish to move to Canada from the US in two years' time. She wants to go to a Canadian university, and I'd like to live there with her until she finishes school. Does anybody know what type of visas or permits we'd need?

My health history unfortunately includes cancer, but I'm three years past diagnosis and have a clean bill of health. The chance of a recurrence is about 10%. Does anybody know if that's enough to keep me from getting a visa?

Thanks in advance,
Susan

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
Hi Susan,

As a U.S. citizen, you don't need a visa to visit for up to 6 months at a time. So my question would be whether visits - even long-term visits - would be enough. If so, you don't have to do anything but drive/fly here.

For your daughter, she'll need to be accepted to a Canadian university and then apply for a study permit.

TG

SuzyQ

Jan 18, 2008
Hi, TG -

Thanks for the reply.

My daughter would like me to move up to Canada with her so that she can still live "at home," so I'd need to be up there for at least two years.

THanks,
Susan

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
Your health background could well be an issue. And since you're not planning to stay here after the 2 years, there's no reason to go through the whole immigration process.

You know, you can stay in Canada for 6 months, then either return to the U.S. briefly and come back for another 6 months or just apply for an extension. It would be less trouble than applying for immigration, and I really think it would meet your needs. The only thing is you wouldn't be able to work.

If you really want to go the immigration route, here is a link to the skilled worker self-assessment.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-who.asp

SuzyQ

Jan 18, 2008
I'd definitely need to work (daughter in college!). Thanks for the link to the skilled worker self-assessment. Even without a job offer, I still scored the pass mark.

Can you explain more about how, and at what point, my health background would become an issue? I know that they require a medical exam for permanent resident status, but I haven't found a similar requirement for a work visa.

Thanks again for your help,
Susan

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
In order to get PR, they would require you to undergo a medical exam by a designated physician. They'll ask you a lot of questions and do some tests. I don't know if cancer is an automatic disqualifier, but it might be. The essential question they have to determine (per the medical guide) is whether, in the next ten years, you will require more than your fair share of medical attention. If your cancer is in clear remission and it's of a type that tends to stay in remission, I can see how they might pass you. But it's gray area.

re: work permit..

If you're offered a job in Canada and your employer obtains the necessary approvals, you'll only need a medical examination if you've spent more than six months in one of the 'designated countries' in the year immediately preceding your entry date to Canada. Since the U.S. is not one of the designated countries, you'd have to intentionally go someplace else. So .. you probably won't need the medical. Here's a list of the designated countries.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/medical/medexams-temp.asp