Aug 16, 2013 (@ time of PER)
Med's Request
Nov 13, 2013
Med's Done....
Nov 21, 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Dec 23, 2013. PP sent on Dec 30, 2013, received by CPPO on Jan 6, 2014.
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 23, 2013 --- Valid until Dec 5, 2014.
LANDED..........
Mar 08, 2014
I completed my landing last Saturday - March 8, 2014. US to Canada and back to US.

Here is my detailed landing experience:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/another-successful-landing-and-return-back-to-us-using-avr-t189888.0.html

sinestra

Apr 28, 2013
Bangalore
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
10-10-2013
Med's Request
07-12-2013
Passport Req..
08-12-2013
VISA ISSUED...
26-02-2014
LANDED..........
26-05-2014
cnonline said:
I completed my landing last Saturday - March 8, 2014. US to Canada and back to US.

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/another-successful-landing-and-return-back-to-us-using-avr-t189888.0.html
Thank you very much.
I shall link your experience on my blog.

viranee

May 10, 2013
cnonline said:

Thanks for sharing your experience. It's very helpful.

sinestra

Apr 28, 2013
Bangalore
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
10-10-2013
Med's Request
07-12-2013
Passport Req..
08-12-2013
VISA ISSUED...
26-02-2014
LANDED..........
26-05-2014
Okay fellas, I am sorry it took some time to document my landing experience. This is no easy task I must say even though I have landed in summer.
I will list my landing experience and I will also list some pointers.
I booked my flight tickets with British Airways. The economy class flight was from Bangalore to London Heathrow and from there to Toronto.
Baggage allowance was: 1 person could get 2 check-in baggage each weighing 23 kilos max, 2 cabin baggage, weighing 23 kilos max. Also the check-in baggage and cabin baggage needs to be within the specified dimension. So whatever you do, your cabin baggage may still not exceed the prescribed 23 kilos. It was a frigging nightmare to pack and document the stuff we packed. We had to give up suitcases and really good trolley bags with corrugated boxes to fulfill our needs.
Flight was long and the halt at London was a big relief after which we boarded our flight to Toronto and we reached on 26th at 17:30 and off we went to the immigration counter. Things were pretty straight forward however, one needs to be mindful of where the CBSA officer is asking you to sign. In my case, he asked my wife to sign on my COPR and when I noticed that, he was like “Oh that's alright, you can just sign next to it.” I just noticed that my document is not stamped by CBSA. GRR! He also asked me about proof of funds and I showed it to him but he just asked for it and expected verbal answers.
Here he put the details of the Canadian address where the PR is supposedly going to be delivered. I gave my friend's address and that was done. This took about 15 minutes. After which the CBSA officer directed us to Services Canada counter where we got our SIN. That done and dusted, we were asked take the route where the Services Canada's kit was being distributed. We were advised to make an appointment with a settlement worker and fill up health card and enroll for child benefit etc. With the kit in hand we went to locate the baggage we checked in. (7 in all. I requested the BA official to check in one of my hand baggage as I was having a daughter to manage. Surprisingly they agreed) I called the porter as I didn't want to injure my back. I paid the porter $10 and he got a large trolley and loaded our ugly boxes on them and we moved on to the Canadian customs official.
The Canadian customs official lady was good looking and she asked me basic stuff about gold we are carrying and gold that we are wearing. She clarified that we needed to include the gold that we were wearing to be included in the goods accompanying list with photographs. We had that and we had also weighed that and mentioned the weight on the photographs. So that went fine. In the mean time I tried to contact my friend to pick me up. The officer told me that it is prohibited to make phone calls while I am clearing custom formalities. I apologized as I knew I was wrong and then she asked me for the total value of goods accompanying and goods to follow. I showed the excel sheet where I had categorized them and that got over. I got a document with goods to follow “Casual Goods Accounting Document” duly signed and sealed with our copy of goods to follow (Remember to make 2 copies of goods to follow and goods accompanying).
There is just one exit and you can hire a taxi or call your friend. I called my friend and he picked us up and we were dazed due to the jet lag. However, my friend took us straight to his house and gave us food and we requested him to drop us to Studio6 (a service apartment). We just went off to sleep. Following morning we began looking for accommodation thanks to the free Internet and local calls provided by Studio6. We managed to get contacts from basement accommodation but they were either too far from Toronto or asking for credit history.
We then finalized on an apartment in Victoria Park and needless to say, even they wanted credit history or guarantor. Thankfully, I could get 2 of them, but I wasn't keen on putting their credit history at risk and I asked the apartment management for another option. I was told to pay upfront 6 months rent and I could move in right away. I got the bank draft for 6 months and moved in right away.
With that done, I had to get a mobile connection. I approached Fido as they were not very expensive (What am I saying??? It is bloody expensive in comparison to India) compared to Rogers and the network is good. I was asked for a credit card and I produced my Indian American Express card and they processed it right away. (It took some time for me to get my credit card from Scotia Bank).
My wife is without a cell phone currently as she didn't have a credit card.
We then ordered an Internet connection from BELL. They have a plan for 375 GB for $45. I found that good enough for my usage. With Internet at home, I had an option to order for a VOIP home phone. I am currently in the process of shortlisting one.
The apartment is attached to the Subway by the skywalk and it is in a convenient location in Toronto.

So folks who are immigrating keep these pointers in mind:
1. Immigrate during summer time in Canada. You will have mobility. This is a big thing!!
2. Complete your credential evaluations and certifications while in your home country.
3. You don't need to invest in swanky trolley bags and hand bags. You need to pick the lightest ones that can accommodate the maximum amount of luggage.
4. Buy ample formal clothes. There are no megamart and coupon stores here. You will pay a bomb to buy formal clothes here.
5. If you are coming in summer, you don't need to stock food grains and other edible stuff as you can always travel to an Indian store nearby and stock up your kitchen. The edible items sold here is not very expensive, if you are at the right place. You will even get coconuts and curry leaves here.
6. Buy thermals. Not the fancy woolen ones but the normal ones.
7. Get vessels that work with induction stoves.
8. Don't have to get induction heaters from home country as most of them cook on induction heaters here.
9. Get a spike guard or power strip for laptops, mobiles and to make that work you must get universal power adaptor. The American/Canadian ones are way different than UK and Indian ones.
10. Get at least 2 plastic mugs and some containers.
11. Get Preethi's Blue Leaf Platinum Mixer 110 Volts.
12. Carry a pen, Portable Charger, deodorant and hand sanitizer.
13. Carry ample amount of cash (say about $2500)
14. Please smile at people who smile at you.
15. Do not spit or litter places. You can be fined. Believe me the fine is too much here.
16. Revive your contacts in Canada well before you arrive.
17. And if your contacts ask you to get stuff to Canada, politely refuse as you will not have enough space for your goods. I promise you that.
18. Keep an open mind. Be happy!! You have made it to Canada. This is a wonderful country, however if you have a different opinion, you will eventually agree that it is a wonderful country.
19. Remember that PR expires after 5 years and you can either renew it or apply for citizenship. If you intend applying for either, you will need IELTS. I am yet to get details, but the one you got to immigrate will still be valid is what I am told. I will verify this.
20. If you are a general manager, CEO, CFO, Architect, etc., in your home country, prepare to start from scratch or stay where you are.
21. Get small quantity of sugar, salt and Tea/coffee. It will be of use wherever you land.

rizmayo

Aug 17, 2013
Mississauga
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
IELTS Request
With Application
Med's Request
16-07-2013
Med's Done....
26-08-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
03-09-2013, sent 17-09-2013, DM 06-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
30-09-2013
sinestra said:
Okay fellas, I am sorry it took some time to document my landing experience. This is no easy task I must say even though I have landed in summer.
I will list my landing experience and I will also list some pointers.
I booked my flight tickets with British Airways. The economy class flight was from Bangalore to London Heathrow and from there to Toronto.
Baggage allowance was: 1 person could get 2 check-in baggage each weighing 23 kilos max, 2 cabin baggage, weighing 23 kilos max. Also the check-in baggage and cabin baggage needs to be within the specified dimension. So whatever you do, your cabin baggage may still not exceed the prescribed 23 kilos. It was a frigging nightmare to pack and document the stuff we packed. We had to give up suitcases and really good trolley bags with corrugated boxes to fulfill our needs.
Flight was long and the halt at London was a big relief after which we boarded our flight to Toronto and we reached on 26th at 17:30 and off we went to the immigration counter. Things were pretty straight forward however, one needs to be mindful of where the CBSA officer is asking you to sign. In my case, he asked my wife to sign on my COPR and when I noticed that, he was like “Oh that's alright, you can just sign next to it.” I just noticed that my document is not stamped by CBSA. GRR! He also asked me about proof of funds and I showed it to him but he just asked for it and expected verbal answers.
Here he put the details of the Canadian address where the PR is supposedly going to be delivered. I gave my friend's address and that was done. This took about 15 minutes. After which the CBSA officer directed us to Services Canada counter where we got our SIN. That done and dusted, we were asked take the route where the Services Canada's kit was being distributed. We were advised to make an appointment with a settlement worker and fill up health card and enroll for child benefit etc. With the kit in hand we went to locate the baggage we checked in. (7 in all. I requested the BA official to check in one of my hand baggage as I was having a daughter to manage. Surprisingly they agreed) I called the porter as I didn't want to injure my back. I paid the porter $10 and he got a large trolley and loaded our ugly boxes on them and we moved on to the Canadian customs official.
The Canadian customs official lady was good looking and she asked me basic stuff about gold we are carrying and gold that we are wearing. She clarified that we needed to include the gold that we were wearing to be included in the goods accompanying list with photographs. We had that and we had also weighed that and mentioned the weight on the photographs. So that went fine. In the mean time I tried to contact my friend to pick me up. The officer told me that it is prohibited to make phone calls while I am clearing custom formalities. I apologized as I knew I was wrong and then she asked me for the total value of goods accompanying and goods to follow. I showed the excel sheet where I had categorized them and that got over. I got a document with goods to follow “Casual Goods Accounting Document” duly signed and sealed with our copy of goods to follow (Remember to make 2 copies of goods to follow and goods accompanying).
There is just one exit and you can hire a taxi or call your friend. I called my friend and he picked us up and we were dazed due to the jet lag. However, my friend took us straight to his house and gave us food and we requested him to drop us to Studio6 (a service apartment). We just went off to sleep. Following morning we began looking for accommodation thanks to the free Internet and local calls provided by Studio6. We managed to get contacts from basement accommodation but they were either too far from Toronto or asking for credit history.
We then finalized on an apartment in Victoria Park and needless to say, even they wanted credit history or guarantor. Thankfully, I could get 2 of them, but I wasn't keen on putting their credit history at risk and I asked the apartment management for another option. I was told to pay upfront 6 months rent and I could move in right away. I got the bank draft for 6 months and moved in right away.
With that done, I had to get a mobile connection. I approached Fido as they were not very expensive (What am I saying??? It is bloody expensive in comparison to India) compared to Rogers and the network is good. I was asked for a credit card and I produced my Indian American Express card and they processed it right away. (It took some time for me to get my credit card from Scotia Bank).
My wife is without a cell phone currently as she didn't have a credit card.
We then ordered an Internet connection from BELL. They have a plan for 375 GB for $45. I found that good enough for my usage. With Internet at home, I had an option to order for a VOIP home phone. I am currently in the process of shortlisting one.
The apartment is attached to the Subway by the skywalk and it is in a convenient location in Toronto.

So folks who are immigrating keep these pointers in mind:
1. Immigrate during summer time in Canada. You will have mobility. This is a big thing!!
2. Complete your credential evaluations and certifications while in your home country.
3. You don't need to invest in swanky trolley bags and hand bags. You need to pick the lightest ones that can accommodate the maximum amount of luggage.
4. Buy ample formal clothes. There are no megamart and coupon stores here. You will pay a bomb to buy formal clothes here.
5. If you are coming in summer, you don't need to stock food grains and other edible stuff as you can always travel to an Indian store nearby and stock up your kitchen. The edible items sold here is not very expensive, if you are at the right place. You will even get coconuts and curry leaves here.
6. Buy thermals. Not the fancy woolen ones but the normal ones.
7. Get vessels that work with induction stoves.
8. Don't have to get induction heaters from home country as most of them cook on induction heaters here.
9. Get a spike guard or power strip for laptops, mobiles and to make that work you must get universal power adaptor. The American/Canadian ones are way different than UK and Indian ones.
10. Get at least 2 plastic mugs and some containers.
11. Get Preethi's Blue Leaf Platinum Mixer 110 Volts.
12. Carry a pen, Portable Charger, deodorant and hand sanitizer.
13. Carry ample amount of cash (say about $2500)
14. Please smile at people who smile at you.
15. Do not spit or litter places. You can be fined. Believe me the fine is too much here.
16. Revive your contacts in Canada well before you arrive.
17. And if your contacts ask you to get stuff to Canada, politely refuse as you will not have enough space for your goods. I promise you that.
18. Keep an open mind. Be happy!! You have made it to Canada. This is a wonderful country, however if you have a different opinion, you will eventually agree that it is a wonderful country.
19. Remember that PR expires after 5 years and you can either renew it or apply for citizenship. If you intend applying for either, you will need IELTS. I am yet to get details, but the one you got to immigrate will still be valid is what I am told. I will verify this.
20. If you are a general manager, CEO, CFO, Architect, etc., in your home country, prepare to start from scratch or stay where you are.
21. Get small quantity of sugar, salt and Tea/coffee. It will be of use wherever you land.
Nice post. Glad you are settled in.

Just some observations on your experience:

1. By law the landlord cannot charge you more than 2 months rent (1st month and last month) in advance. If you are interested, you can approach LTB and they will force your landlord to return the money. Happens a lot here, so don't worry you are not the only one.

2. Bell, Rogers and Telus are the main stream cell phone carriers here. They each have a low cost (not really low cost ::)) service which uses the exact same network, but package is cheaper: Virgin Mobile is Bell, Fido is Rogers and Koodoo is Telus. However there are still cheaper choices available out there as well, like Wind, Mobilicity, Chatr (Rogers network) and Public Mobile (Telus network) and they will give you a connection without a credit card. If you just need to call your wife when she is at home and she has a smart phone, I suggest downloading an app called Fongo (this will give you a local Canadian number that can both be used to call and receive calls for free. Go for a VOIP home phone only if you need to call India or other countries, else not really needed. Don't let people trick you into getting a land line in a bundle (it is very expensive here).

3. You and your spouse (children also if any of them has reached the age of maturity at time of applying) will have to give IELTS again for citizenship. However if you take a degree or diploma course (in any field) from a Canadian institute, you are exempted from the IELTS requirement.

4. When opening a bank account, I hope you told the bank you wanted the package for newcomers (most banks have them). Suggest you have a separate bank account for your spouse and maintain a separate credit card. This will help both of you build credit history and will come in handy when you need your spouse to cosign a loan for your brand new house :p ... TD Bank has a good package and is also providing for new immigrants with an unsecured credit card: http://www.tdcanadatrust.com/planning/life-events/new-to-canada/index.jsp

You are in the Crescent Buildings?

Regards,

Vats

Champion Member
Feb 3, 2012
Hi Friends,

One doubt answered here many time but again asking,

I got PR as a FSW candidate

If I select flight from India to London to Montreal to Toronto, is it fine as per POE consideration?

any one have same exp they landed first time at Montreal and than connecting flight somewhere further?

where will I required to complete landing formalities?
the flight I am choosing is haveing 1.15hr at Montreal, is it ok?

Pl advise

sinestra

Apr 28, 2013
Bangalore
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
10-10-2013
Med's Request
07-12-2013
Passport Req..
08-12-2013
VISA ISSUED...
26-02-2014
LANDED..........
26-05-2014
Vats said:
Hi Friends,

One doubt answered here many time but again asking,

I got PR as a FSW candidate

If I select flight from India to London to Montreal to Toronto, is it fine as per POE consideration?

any one have same exp they landed first time at Montreal and than connecting flight somewhere further?

where will I required to complete landing formalities?
the flight I am choosing is haveing 1.15hr at Montreal, is it ok?

Pl advise
It is okay I believe, as they only verify POF and document your entry to Canada.

sinestra

Apr 28, 2013
Bangalore
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
10-10-2013
Med's Request
07-12-2013
Passport Req..
08-12-2013
VISA ISSUED...
26-02-2014
LANDED..........
26-05-2014
rizmayo said:
Nice post. Glad you are settled in.

Just some observations on your experience:

1. By law the landlord cannot charge you more than 2 months rent (1st month and last month) in advance. If you are interested, you can approach LTB and they will force your landlord to return the money. Happens a lot here, so don't worry you are not the only one.

2. Bell, Rogers and Telus are the main stream cell phone carriers here. They each have a low cost (not really low cost ::)) service which uses the exact same network, but package is cheaper: Virgin Mobile is Bell, Fido is Rogers and Koodoo is Telus. However there are still cheaper choices available out there as well, like Wind, Mobilicity, Chatr (Rogers network) and Public Mobile (Telus network) and they will give you a connection without a credit card. If you just need to call your wife when she is at home and she has a smart phone, I suggest downloading an app called Fongo (this will give you a local Canadian number that can both be used to call and receive calls for free. Go for a VOIP home phone only if you need to call India or other countries, else not really needed. Don't let people trick you into getting a land line in a bundle (it is very expensive here).

3. You and your spouse (children also if any of them has reached the age of maturity at time of applying) will have to give IELTS again for citizenship. However if you take a degree or diploma course (in any field) from a Canadian institute, you are exempted from the IELTS requirement.

4. When opening a bank account, I hope you told the bank you wanted the package for newcomers (most banks have them). Suggest you have a separate bank account for your spouse and maintain a separate credit card. This will help both of you build credit history and will come in handy when you need your spouse to cosign a loan for your brand new house :p ... TD Bank has a good package and is also providing for new immigrants with an unsecured credit card: http://www.tdcanadatrust.com/planning/life-events/new-to-canada/index.jsp

You are in the Crescent Buildings?

Regards,
I am at 9 Crescent place :)
What about you?
Yes you are right, my main motive is to call my folks in India for cheap.

rizmayo

Aug 17, 2013
Mississauga
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
IELTS Request
With Application
Med's Request
16-07-2013
Med's Done....
26-08-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
03-09-2013, sent 17-09-2013, DM 06-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
30-09-2013
sinestra said:
I am at 9 Crescent place :)
What about you?
Yes you are right, my main motive is to call my folks in India for cheap.
I live in Brampton. Crescent Town is a popular destination for newly landed immigrants and is very economical, considering the amenities attached with it (like subway). I came to see apartments there, but did not like them.

These are the popular VOIP choices here (I guess you must have explored them already):
http://www.vonage.ca/calling-plans/residential/vonage-world-canada/
http://www.magicjack.com/

Also investigate, calling cards (call through your mobile), as they may turn out to be cheaper depends on where your want to call.

If you are planning to add an internet based TV service (Jadoo, Shava, BTV, etc.) then you may need an unlimited internet plan. Look at these low cost options if Bell and Rogers are expensive for you (not available in all areas):
http://www.acanac.ca/
http://teksavvy.com/
http://www.vmedia.ca/
http://primus.ca/index.php/ont_en

Regards,

chocotwix

Star Member
May 15, 2013
thank you for sharing landing experience.

I would like to ask what are the goods that are allowed and not allowed to bring?

How about for medicines and vitamins?

and skin ointments?

thank you.

yaanlpc

Mar 24, 2014
Winnipeg
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-05-2015 (cic)
Doc's Request.
14-02-2016
Nomination.....
05-05-2015
AOR Received.
05-Aug-2015
IELTS Request
25-05-2015
Med's Request
23-12-2015
Med's Done....
08-01-2016
Passport Req..
02-09-2016
VISA ISSUED...
07-09-2016, xPresspost activated 16th.
LANDED..........
24-09-2016

smtele

Apr 30, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
27-12-2015
Passport Req..
05-06-2016
LANDED..........
29-06-2016
Landed at Toronto Pearson airport. Had long lines at the customs. People landing at Pearson should have atleast 3-4 hours hours to spare, not counting the baggage claim. Was sent to the immigration office where the officer asked about the standard questions on having a criminal record, refused entry to Canada, and any dependents. The answer was NO to all. I actually used to have a PR status, and lost it because I could not satisfy the minimum days. I had renounced my PR status last year, but applied again through EE and luckily got it back. The officer seemed surprised that I got a PR again so quickly -- had to tell him about the express entry system. He asked if I was going to live in Canada from now on. I said I had to go back to the US to wrap up my project at work, and then move for good in the Fall. I was not asked for a goods to follow list. Then we signed on the COPR. He mentioned the terms of maintaining a PR status which I knew pretty well already, and then directed me to the SIN card office, which was closed on a Sunday. Entire process took about 15 min.