+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Compassionate care/family caregiver benefits

deep143

Star Member
Dec 18, 2017
Hi,
I need to go back to my home country to support my father who is ill.
I am PR holder in Canada and work for a private company.
i have couple of questions about compassionate care/family caregiver leaves and it’s benefits-

1) what all documents we need to submit to my company usually to get these leaves? Do we just need to submit as medical certificate from family doctor or do we need to share the medical reports/records too. I know I should be asking this to the company I work for but I want to keep the docs ready before applying for it so that there are no complications.

2)are we able to get these benefits (EI payments for these leaves) if we are living outside of canada to support the family?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,
i have couple of questions about compassionate care/family caregiver leaves and it’s benefits-

1) what all documents we need to submit to my company usually to get these leaves? Do we just need to submit as medical certificate from family doctor or do we need to share the medical reports/records too. I know I should be asking this to the company I work for but I want to keep the docs ready before applying for it so that there are no complications.

2)are we able to get these benefits (EI payments for these leaves) if we are living outside of canada to support the family?
This information may help for your second question. See the section at the bottom of the page regarding situations where the person you are caring for is outside of Canada.

https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benefits/ei/caregiving/eligibility.html

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hi,

I used this type of benefit when my mother had terminal cancer . We did not have too submit any detailed medical records regarding her condition . If Service Canada requires more information they’ll ask. Her Doctor just noted in the medical section on the form that her condition was terminal , there was no hope for recovery . I don’t know if they’ve changed the form since I took the benefits , but my mother had to sign the form as well before I submitted it too Service Canada, which was a bit bureaucratic. Acknowledging to the Government before you die, that you will die . Didn’t bother my mom, she found it ironic , but others may . Only recommendation I would make if you’re going to apply for the benefits is too start NOW. After I had submitted everything, Service Canada verified that my mother was in the hospital etc ,my mother passed a week later
Take Care

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

Would be prepared financially to receive no money because payments aren't guaranteed for care outside Canada.

deep143

Star Member
Dec 18, 2017
I used this type of benefit when my mother had terminal cancer . We did not have too submit any detailed medical records regarding her condition . If Service Canada requires more information they’ll ask. Her Doctor just noted in the medical section on the form that her condition was terminal , there was no hope for recovery . I don’t know if they’ve changed the form since I took the benefits , but my mother had to sign the form as well before I submitted it too Service Canada, which was a bit bureaucratic. Acknowledging to the Government before you die, that you will die . Didn’t bother my mom, she found it ironic , but others may . Only recommendation I would make if you’re going to apply for the benefits is too start NOW. After I had submitted everything, Service Canada verified that my mother was in the hospital etc ,my mother passed a week later
Take Care
thanks a lot for sharing your experience.
How did service canada verified that your mother was in hospital?

Do they contact Doctor for that? Because if they contact the doctor who is giving treatment to my parent, I don’t think that he will reply or answer any calls as he is always super-busy.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
thanks a lot for sharing your experience.
How did service canada verified that your mother was in hospital?

Do they contact Doctor for that? Because if they contact the doctor who is giving treatment to my parent, I don’t think that he will reply or answer any calls as he is always super-busy.
@Copingwithlife may have had their parent living in Canada. Receiving benefits when it involves going abroad is not as clearcut or easily approved. Unfortunately it is open to more fraud and it usually involves longer periods of time off. If a family member is sick in Canada it is often possible to change to a modified work schedule for a while and go off full-time when it gets closer to the end. You need to be prepared for the potential that you may not receive any benefits or the amount of benefits you were expecting. As indicated if you have worked enough hours to qualify you must apply and provide a doctor or nurses letter. I would suggest providing as much documentation as possible like test results proving severe illness along with a doctor's note.