+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Common Law

Jan 3, 2012
Hi Everyone,

And happy new years!
I love this forum and is definitely useful.

Sorry I am really lost with the idea/notion of common-law, its applications, and its benefits..

I am a Canadian citizen and over 19 years of age. I had met my girlfriend (had lived together for over a year and now living in different provinces due to my job) over three years ago.

She is on a working (holiday) visa but has to go in a few months and I want for her to stay but do not have the resources for a marriage until the next 2 years, and thus I would like to “apply” for common law status as I heard that she may be able to get a PR status of some sort and can even come back.

Thus, we had our IMM 5409 (Common Law Declaration) notarized and we were wondering, what do we do now?

Many thanks for your kind responses in advance!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

anthony.hj.kim said:
Hi Everyone,

And happy new years!
I love this forum and is definitely useful.

Sorry I am really lost with the idea/notion of common-law, its applications, and its benefits..

I am a Canadian citizen and over 19 years of age. I had met my girlfriend (had lived together for over a year and now living in different provinces due to my job) over three years ago.

She is on a working (holiday) visa but has to go in a few months and I want for her to stay but do not have the resources for a marriage until the next 2 years, and thus I would like to “apply” for common law status as I heard that she may be able to get a PR status of some sort and can even come back.

Thus, we had our IMM 5409 (Common Law Declaration) notarized and we were wondering, what do we do now?

Many thanks for your kind responses in advance!
If you haven't lived together in the last 3 years, you aren't a common/law couple. So you can't apply under that.