+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Common-law spouse travel exemption purpose of travel

canadajapanconnection

Apr 29, 2020
I'm a Canadian citizen and my common-law partner is to travel to Canada soon. We have prepared all the documents for him to satisfy the common-law spousal travel exemption.

I'm just wondering what should he put for his purpose of travel; we plan to marry and live in Canada and in turn apply for his PR but I'm not sure he should say he plans to do that.

The exemption is that if we are common-law spouses (which we are) and his trip is longer than 15 days he can come in but should we not say he intends to stay in Canada longer than his visa would allow (6 months) or just that he plans to stay temporarily?

Thank you so much!

thevisawhisperer

Champion Member
Jun 10, 2020
West Coast
"I'm just wondering what should he put for his purpose of travel; we plan to marry and live in Canada and in turn apply for his PR but I'm not sure he should say he plans to do that."
I would, if asked, give the actual reason, that you are planning to get married and make an in-Canada sponsorship application.

sarvesh90

Jun 18, 2018
I'm a Canadian citizen and my common-law partner is to travel to Canada soon. We have prepared all the documents for him to satisfy the common-law spousal travel exemption.

I'm just wondering what should he put for his purpose of travel; we plan to marry and live in Canada and in turn apply for his PR but I'm not sure he should say he plans to do that.

The exemption is that if we are common-law spouses (which we are) and his trip is longer than 15 days he can come in but should we not say he intends to stay in Canada longer than his visa would allow (6 months) or just that he plans to stay temporarily?

Thank you so much!
Hello,

I have a similar question. I have a Canadian PR and been residing here for a while. My to-be spouse is in India and we have applied for her visitor visa back in July. At that point, we had mentioned that she is a friend that plans to visit me.

Now we are getting married in November, and if our visa application does not get approved by then, how do we inform IRCC about the change in status and also ask them to provide travel exemption documents so that she can come here with me?

sarvesh90

Jun 18, 2018
and also ask them to provide travel exemption documents so that she can come here with me?
I'm afraid you'll have to actually marry her first, for that to become possible.
Yes planning to do that in October before emailing them, of course.

But will that work once we get married? I wanted to know if anyone here has had experience contacting IRCC to claim travel exemption for a spouse.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes planning to do that in October before emailing them, of course.

But will that work once we get married? I wanted to know if anyone here has had experience contacting IRCC to claim travel exemption for a spouse.
Does your spouse have a TRV? Getting a TRV for a sppuse can be very dufficult.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Applied in July - application in process. Why is it difficult? Did yours get rejected?
It can be difficult given IRCC tend to start from the position that someone on TRV May not leave when they are supposed to. Plus of course currently visitors who are not immediate family are not allowed and is expected that restriction may be extended in next few days.

sarvesh90

Jun 18, 2018
She has a full time job in India as a dentist. What if we prove that she's got every intention of going back and this is just a visit?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Applied in July - application in process. Why is it difficult? Did yours get rejected?
Because spouses are rarely true temporary residents and will not return to their home country. Most aren’t coming for a short visit. You will need to prove that she has stronger ties in India versus in Canada.

sarvesh90

Jun 18, 2018
Because spouses are rarely true temporary residents and will not return to their home country. Most aren’t coming for a short visit. You will need to prove that she has stronger ties in India versus in Canada.
I get that. But I see so many people here that have gotten TRVs for their spouse in Canada. I have heard of cases being rejected for USA. But not many for
Also, in the visa application, I've mentioned that she's got a full time dentist job in Mumbai.
I'm not sure how you can convince IRCC that your spouse is going to stay away from you.