+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Common Law Sponsorship

D_chsn1

Star Member
Mar 5, 2021
I received my PR on Apr-07-2022 through common law sponsorship. Me and my partner were in a four year relationship prior and unfortunately we split up on May 2023. We are still living together in the same address and planning on going our separate ways this September, we are both busy with our lives and have different schedules and don't even see each other that often. Previously, I had my study permit up until 2023 December. I was planning on applying for citizenship next year since I will be eligible as per the calculator online, just worried about any flags due to the living situation. I understand that this is a unique situation but it has worked for us so far financially. Any advice would be really appreciated! Thank you.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I received my PR on Apr-07-2022 through common law sponsorship. Me and my partner were in a four year relationship prior and unfortunately we split up on May 2023. We are still living together in the same address and planning on going our separate ways this September, we are both busy with our lives and have different schedules and don't even see each other that often. Previously, I had my study permit up until 2023 December. I was planning on applying for citizenship next year since I will be eligible as per the calculator online, just worried about any flags due to the living situation. I understand that this is a unique situation but it has worked for us so far financially. Any advice would be really appreciated! Thank you.
No impact at all.

The rules changed several years ago that no longer requires a sponsored PR (under a Spousal Sponsorship) to continue to be in a relationship (and living together) with their sponsor. The sponsor IS still financially responsible for the PR for 3 years from the day they became a PR.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Could be an issue for things like taxation. If you are still living together it is much harder to prove that you are no longer in a common law relationship. On paper, for example, it still appears as you are common law.