+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Common-law sponsorship. proof of joint bank accounts but not the rest.help

Mikieb23

Nov 6, 2010
Hi there, its my very first posting. Thank you to everyone you helps us in need. I've learnt a lot from reading these postings.

I have been living with my girlfriend since June 2008, I have almost everything ready to send with our application. The only thing that is worrying me is the fact we only have the following documents to support our claim: Joint rental leases, plenty of pictures of family and friends, proof of our joint bank accounts and credit cards, xmas and birthday cards addressed to one another from family members, emails and Skype conversations with one another, letters from relatives and close friends and bank statements showing rent being taken from our joint account.

What is worrying me is the fact we don't have life insurance, wills, or anything we can prove we have bought together. We recently bought a Tv together but it was purchased under my girlfriends store credit card. I can use this store card but I cannot get anything in writing to support this is a joint purchase.

I would very much appreciate anyones comments or advice on this. Is there anything I have forgotten that I could attach to the application to beef up or marriage like relationship.

Thanks Mikie

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
The evidences you say you have should be enough. You need to prove that you have been living together for a period of at least one continuous year - and the leases, and joint bank and credit cards, go towards proving that. What about utility bills? They don't necessarily have to be joint - just is either partner's name at the same address. It sounds like you also have the pictures, letters, emails, phone bills etc., to demonstrate the development of your relationship and its "genuine" nature (meaning the foreign national is not just using the relationship to get into or stay in Canada). You need both components to support a common-law application.

Lots of people don't have wills or insurance policies - especially young people. Joint purchases are only one of the evidences of "co-habitation" - it's not a requirement.

waitingintz

Jul 22, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Pretoria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-07-2010
Doc's Request.
01-11-2010
AOR Received.
28-09-2010
File Transfer...
24-08-2010
Med's Done....
22-06-2010
Interview........
waived!!
Passport Req..
16-02-2011
VISA ISSUED...
22/02/2011
LANDED..........
19-5-2011 (hopefully!)
Hi Mikieb
That's more than my partner and I had and he's been provisionally approved so it seems to have been enough.
The only other thing I can suggest to include is mail to both of you at the same address (preferably official mail like bills or tax stuff).

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
It sounds like you have enough evidence to me, as well.