+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Common law sponsership

Kiwiz

Jan 16, 2013
Hello, I'm new to the forum!
I am a Kiwi and my partner is Canadian. We are applying for my PR under Common law sponsorship, as have been living together for a bit over a year.
I am just familiarizing myself with all the forms and am wondering how important is the question that it asks about either you or your sponsor having been in a common law relationship before? My partner and I are 30, and we were both in common law/de facto relationships (with ex partners) from ages 23-27. But do we really need to state this and put down our previous partners names? Why are they asking this?

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
They ask about previous marriages too, and since the government is allowing people to sponsor common-law partners, they consider the two types of relationship to be equally important.
I would not lie on the forms. There is nothing wrong with having had a previous spouse or partner anyway. Sometimes it creates problems if the romantic histories of the current couple don't match - for example, if the Canadian has had three previous marriages, and the foreigner has never been in a relationship before - but the visa officers are much less suspicious of people from 'richer' countries (such as New Zealand) anyway, and in any case both of you have similar histories.

Kiwiz

Jan 16, 2013
Ok thank you for that. Just wanted to know the relevance of the question, and you're right, they treat common law the same as marriage. Cheers for clearing that up.