+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Common law partner

nahum97

Dec 12, 2023
Hi

Me and my gf are living together from Nov 2021 and have lease from Feb 2022 to Feb 2023 then she went to a different city for work from May 2023 to Sept 2023and then we again stayed together from oct 2023 under a lease taken together. we have never mention as common-law in any IRCC application like PGWP application or in CRA. But we have each others name in work insurance beneficiary, work permit issued in same address, affidavit and bank statement proving financial aids.

she got ITA last week and we want to apply together as common law partners, but she applied as single.

can we apply together as common law partners now with the above proofs.

Last edited:

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You should post this question in the Family Class Sponsorship forum.

She can apply and include you as her common-law partner, but perhaps more importantly, you should disclose that you were in fact common-law partners in Nov 2022 and hope that she/you are not at risk of misrepresentation.

Good luck!

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hi

Me and my gf are living together from Nov 2021 and have lease from Feb 2021 to Feb 2022 then she went to a different city for work and then we again stayed together from oct 2023 under a lease taken together. we have never mention as common-law in any IRCC application like PDWP application or in CRA. But we have each others name in work insurance beneficiary, work permit issued in same address, affidavit and bank statement proving financial aids.

she got ITA last week and we want to apply together as common law partners, but she applied as single.

can we apply together as common law partners now with the above proofs.
You don’t get to pick & choose when you want to declare common law and with what Government departments, and when it’s only beneficial to you.

nahum97

Dec 12, 2023

She can apply and include you as her common-law partner, but perhaps more importantly, you should disclose that you were in fact common-law partners in Nov 2022 and hope that she/you are not at risk of misrepresentation.

Good luck!
Thank you.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017

Good luck!
This is not a family class sponsorship question since neither of them is already a PR.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
This is not a family class sponsorship question since neither of them is already a PR.
Understood, but the ITA recipient would still be adding their partner to their application, so the FCS forum may still be helpful to them...more so than this General forum.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Understood, but the ITA recipient would still be adding their partner to their application, so the FCS forum may still be helpful to them...more so than this General forum.
FCS don't usually need to "add partner" because the sponsor is the PR/citizen and the applicant is the partner/spouse.
So the process is a bit different. There is also no "point" affected (I don't really know how it's done in economic stream).
So I have pointed OP to CEC section.

Reactions: Ponga