+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Common-law partner

Marsess

Apr 6, 2019
Hello! I submitted my application without my common-law partner because adding him as dependent or coming with me to canada gave me less points than just filling my application but saying that I have a partner who is not coming with me. My idea was to sponsor him once I got my application approved and fly to canada with my partner. I get the invitation, on one of the question they asked me why my common-law partner is not coming with me...

- Should I change it and say that he is coming with me?
-Or should I say he is working and he could come once I settle in Canada?

I read on different treats that once one of the partner gets the PR it's easier for the other to get it as well on time, but I don't know how to justify or handle my situation now.

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello! I submitted my application without my common-law partner because adding him as dependent or coming with me to canada gave me less points than just filling my application but saying that I have a partner who is not coming with me. My idea was to sponsor him once I got my application approved and fly to canada with my partner. I get the invitation, on one of the question they asked me why my common-law partner is not coming with me...

- Should I change it and say that he is coming with me?
-Or should I say he is working and he could come once I settle in Canada?

I read on different treats that once one of the partner gets the PR it's easier for the other to get it as well on time, but I don't know how to justify or handle my situation now.
If you change him to accompanying, your points will be recalculated.

You should give the truth. You put him as non-accompanying for the points.

I don't know what you mean about it being easier for the partner to get PR. You have to go through the sponsorship process, which can take a year or longer.