+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

common law partner

iamcaregiver

Feb 26, 2019
Hello seniors and experts. please i need your advice. i am currently in canada as caregiver, now INTERIM PATHWAY IS OPEN and i am qualified. i will submit Permanent resident application very soon and i would like to include my common law partner in my application. however, my problem is i am currently married to someone back in philippines but we are already separated for more than 5 years now and i dont have any communication with him since then. will there be any problem with my marital status if i include my current spouse/common law partner with my PR application? my common law partner is also living in canada but have no more status as his work permit already expired. and my common law partner and i have all the requirements to prove we are living together and have genuine relarionship for more than a year now. thank you for your inputs.

Mathel1216

Jan 31, 2019
Hello seniors and experts. please i need your advice. i am currently in canada as caregiver, now INTERIM PATHWAY IS OPEN and i am qualified. i will submit Permanent resident application very soon and i would like to include my common law partner in my application. however, my problem is i am currently married to someone back in philippines but we are already separated for more than 5 years now and i dont have any communication with him since then. will there be any problem with my marital status if i include my current spouse/common law partner with my PR application? my common law partner is also living in canada but have no more status as his work permit already expired. and my common law partner and i have all the requirements to prove we are living together and have genuine relarionship for more than a year now. thank you for your inputs.
Hi,for my understanding at your present status right now you have to file for a divorce first (because you still married)before you can apply for a common law sponsorship,my friend has exactly same story as yours and the immigration will also asked for your “advice on marriage”from PSA.but if you are divorced here they will not asked for “advice on marriage “this is cenomar for single.and this is one of the requirements in getting PR.hope this help

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi,for my understanding at your present status right now you have to file for a divorce first (because you still married)before you can apply for a common law sponsorship,my friend has exactly same story as yours and the immigration will also asked for your “advice on marriage”from PSA.but if you are divorced here they will not asked for “advice on marriage “this is cenomar for single.and this is one of the requirements in getting PR.hope this help
IRCC recognizes that a person can still be legally married to their ex but be common-law with someone else. It is not an issue.

Reactions: iamcaregiver

Zan*

Jan 8, 2020
Hi,

I just need some insights regarding my situation. My common law partner is legally married to somebody else but has not yet commenced annulment proceedings. Does he need to obtain later on an Advisory on Marriage from the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA) when we apply for PR? Also, i heard about some common law PR application being denied because the legally married partner has not filed for annulment yet. In our case he does not intend to file it soon, only when we eventually and hopefully get to Canada. How do we strengthen our proof of common law? Does the joint bank account have to exist for 12 months at least? We are renting an apartment but the utilities are under the name of our landlady. Thank you in advance for your time.