+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Common Law in Canada

elfut

Star Member
Jun 6, 2005
British Columbia
How fast is the processing time for Common Law IN Canada? Currently, my common law is in Canada for 6 months visitor visa. As of today April, it has been 3 months. Thanks for viewing.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

elfut said:
So it is possible to apply one before 1 year of relationship took place?
You have to be in a c/law relationship for 1 year before you can apply.

PMM

elfut

Star Member
Jun 6, 2005
British Columbia
Thank you for your reply. I just need to clear up two things though. Once the person have to go out of his/her country after living together for 6 months in Canada (the person is in a 6 month visitor visa while living together, share bank accounts and housing rents.) does the 6 months still accountable after he/she leaves Canada..and the person would be back eventually back to Canada after a few months?

and the reason why he/she has to go out of Canada is because he/she has to go for call up duty (drafted to the reservist military for 3 weeks or a month). The person is from Singapore and does not require a Visa to enter Canada. The problem is the person cannot apply for TRV to extend his/her 6 months visa due to the call up once a year.

Thank you and I graciously want to thank if you would be able to answer this because I could not find answers from the CIC website regarding the other party who has a duty to his/her country and so forth.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

elfut said:
Thank you for your reply. I just need to clear up two things though. Once the person have to go out of his/her country after living together for 6 months in Canada (the person is in a 6 month visitor visa while living together, share bank accounts and housing rents.) does the 6 months still accountable after he/she leaves Canada..and the person would be back eventually back to Canada after a few months?

and the reason why he/she has to go out of Canada is because he/she has to go for call up duty (drafted to the reservist military for 3 weeks or a month). The person is from Singapore and does not require a Visa to enter Canada. The problem is the person cannot apply for TRV to extend his/her 6 months visa due to the call up once a year.

Thank you and I graciously want to thank if you would be able to answer this because I could not find answers from the CIC website regarding the other party who has a duty to his/her country and so forth.
No it has to be continuous. Didn't look to hard at www.cic.gc.ca see: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/sponsor/familymembers.html
Common-law partner

You are a common-law partner—either of opposite sex or same-sex—if you have been living with your sponsor in a conjugal relationship for at least one year. The year of living together must be a continuous 12-month period and cannot be intermittent periods that add up to one year. However, you are allowed temporary absences for short periods of time for business travel or family reasons.

PMM

elfut

Star Member
Jun 6, 2005
British Columbia
Hi

Thank you for your swift reply. So the only way to live together continously for 12 months is to get Temporary Resident Permit? Because since 2005, the partner has been going in and out of Canada till this present time and has been legally entered Canada without breaking any Canadian Immigration law like work/study without permit.

My last question:
What would you advise us at this moment and we have been living together since Feb 2007, hence been taking care of my kids while I'm at work and my partner has to go out of Canada after his 6 months legal stay period has ended prior for drafting in the military/police for only 2 weeks in August. My partner's 6 months stay will end in 29th July 2007.

Thank you and if it is possible we may need a lawyer. We live in British Columbia.