+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Common law eligibility

tuxarc

Star Member
Jun 29, 2020
Hello, I have been living with my Canadian partner in Canada for almost a year (2 months in a serviced apartment building with a confirmation letter from management, 10 months with a lease agreement in both our names). I have been entering Canada as a temporary resident (eTA). Before that we were traveling/living together without breaks for about 1 month in Canada and 3 months in a third country, for which I don't have much proof though.

During the past year I've traveled back to my own country as well. My longest absence from Canada was 90 days in the summer, but during this period she came over to stay with me at my parents' house initially for 40 days, and then returned for another 5, never being apart from each other for more than 20 days.

I am not including the days of departure as being apart, as we were together for part of the day, is this correct? (Similarly to the physical presence calculator.)

Is the allowed limit 21 days, or if we stay apart from each other for 21 days it is considered a break in cohabitation and it should have been 20 days or less?

What are the chances of positive approval based on the above? What extra documents do you think I would need as proof? Thank you!