+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Common-law breakup after obtaining CSQ and before applying for Permanent Resident

Mai6880

May 30, 2021
Hello, due to personal problems, my friend couple wanted to a breakup, but still living together to share the rent for the last 6 months. We applied CSQ as common-law and got the CSQ already, and they haven’t applied for the Permanent Residence yet. So I have questions:

1. Can her common-law partner (not main applicant) apply for the extension of his work permit if he has the CSQ ? If he can, then can he go to other province to work, or the extension of work permit will state only work for Quebec employers ?

2. Can her common-law partner (CLP) apply for Permanent Resident by himself? If yes then will the requirements are like the process of the main applicant ? If no then what does he have to do to achieve the Permanent residence if he already has the CSQ in hand ?

3. If she still agrees to help him until obtaining the Permanent residence, then can she break up with him immediately while he still can hold the PR ? If for him to get the PR without her breaking up immediately then how long does she have to stay with him ? Does she have to be financially responsible for him if she breaks up with him immediately ? How does she have to do to prove that she is financially responsible for him to the government for her immediate breakup after obtaining the Permanent Resident ?

4. Will there be a lawyer who can help him get the Permanent Residence with his case ? If yes then how much will it cost for the service (including the government fee in detail) ?

Any input will be appreciated ! Thank you !

vikhoo

Nov 9, 2014
Hello,

I had a break up with my common-law partner after I applied for PR after CSQ.

1. Her Csq will be revoked by MIFI after you update your status. As you have to declare your personal situation.

2. He can't get his work permit.

3. He can't apply for pr as his csq will be revoked.

Be careful not to take his responsibility. As if he married or went into common-law with someone else and applied for PR somewhere in canada.

Your PR and CSQ application will be canceled as you failed to notify IRCC about your situation.

vikhoo

Nov 9, 2014
Don't trust the person who don't want to be with you. As because of him you will suffer and Application for Permanent residence will be canceled

Mai6880

May 30, 2021
Thank you but if the break up is after obtaining the CSQ and before applying for PR then can there be any positive scenarios ?

vikhoo

Nov 9, 2014
Your friend can help him to get work permit.
But back in 2019, I asked my lawyer if I can help my common-law work permit. He said not to take chances.

Choice is upon main applicant. To play with fire or to go safe way. Informing MIFI and IRCC in applications.

Mai6880

May 30, 2021
So what you mean is that the extension of work permit may be possible but not the PR right after the CSQ ? Which lawyer is the most reliable on this ?

vikhoo

Nov 9, 2014
But I didn't helped my common-law because of risks.
As now in 2021 I am married and my wife have CSQ and PR in process.

But if I would have helped my common-law partner. I couldn't have moved in life and lived with my wife worry free.

vikhoo

Nov 9, 2014
Canadim - immigration law firm.
They are on saint matheiu street in Montreal.

After break up. They helped me to cancel CSQ for my common-law and get new CSQ for my wife.

They are little costly but have reliable team on atleast 10 immigration lawyers.