+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

commitment or partnership ceremony?

ella19

Aug 8, 2009
Hi, just filling out the form and came across the question asking if there has ever been a formal ceremony to recognise the common-law relationship such as commitment or partnership ceremony.
To be honest, id never even heard there were such things until this question so needless to say we haven't had one. Is this important in the grand scheme of things? Its not something ive ever heard of anyone doing before, certainly none of my friends who have long term boyfs have had one. It asks me to explain why, is it sufficient for me to say this isnt usual practice where im from?

julchen_79

Star Member
Mar 4, 2008
Hi,

In our situation we mentioned that my fiances sister is planning an engagement party. If you are not in that situation yet, you could simply say there has not been an official ceremony but you are known as a couple to your friends and family.

Good luck!

mitamata

Nov 21, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-02-2009
AOR Received.
27-03-2009
Med's Done....
03-12-2008
Passport Req..
29-04-2009
VISA ISSUED...
06-05-2009
LANDED..........
27-07-2009
Most people don't have anything like that, so don't worry about it. Just explain it's not usually done where you come from and you never considered it. I wrote the same to explain why we had no engagement party. Those just aren't done where I come from. Even engagement as such is rare.

OneLuckyCookie

Star Member
Jul 6, 2009
Hey Ella,
when I was filling out the papers, I was wondering about that, too. I was gonna write "Who does that?" just for fun, but we figured they wouldnt take it that well... ;-) We ended up writing that there is no tradition in our respective countries that requires us to have a ceremony like that.
I think that should be enough. =)