+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Combination of part-time and full time experience

Nikhilesh11

Jul 26, 2019
Hello!
I am based in India and studied in India itself.
I have 14 months of part-time (7 months full-time) work experience at 20 hours a week. I gained this work experience during my degree. 2nd April 2018 to 31st May 2019.
Since 1st June 2019, I engaged in full-time employment as I was done with my degree and I was offered to join the same position as a full-time employee. As a full-time employee, I am working for 51 hours a week. By October end I would have five months of full-time work experience. Would that mean that I would be eligible for express entry for Canada? Can we use such a combination of full time and part-time experience?

Kindly answer with the assumption that I am working in a category B NOC code with job profile similar to the descriptions provided by the Canadian Government.

visatest

May 24, 2016
London Ontario Canada
Hello!
I have 14 months of part-time (7 months full-time) work experience at 20 hours a week. I gained this work experience during my degree. 2nd April 2018 to 31st May 2019.
Since 1st June 2019, I engaged in full-time employment as I was done with my degree and I was offered to join the same position as a full-time employee. As a full-time employee, I am working for 51 hours a week. By October end I would have five months of full-time work experience. Would that mean that I would be eligible for express entry for Canada? Can we use such a combination of full time and part-time experience?

Kindly answer with the assumption that I am working in a category B NOC code with job profile similar to the descriptions provided by the Canadian Government.
To tell you the truth Nikilesh11 I am not sure about the combo work you have done. But here is the Governments' Come to Canada Tool. Enter the info you require and see what the answer is.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/come-canada-tool-immigration-express-entry.html

visatest

May 24, 2016
London Ontario Canada
Yeah, it is written in the finest Government babble. Don't worry if anything is unclear or worded oddly they just do that. I am sure your questions will be quickly answered on the Forum.

mbaleine

Mar 13, 2019
It should be fine as long as your employment is continuous, in that same position/NOC, with enough part-time + full-time hours to make it equivalent to one-year full-time, and can be corroborated by your ref letter.

I did a very similar thing and I have gotten PPR.

Reactions: Jansell

Nikhilesh11

Jul 26, 2019
It should be fine as long as your employment is continuous, in that same position/NOC, with enough part-time + full-time hours to make it equivalent to one-year full-time, and can be corroborated by your ref letter.

I did a very similar thing and I have gotten PPR.
May I ask what all documents were submitted by you.
Currently, I have
1.An offer letter.
2. A promotion letter.
3. Letter stating my job description.
4. Experience certificate.
5. Income Tax returns.
6. Salary certificate.
7. Salary Slips.
The salary was paid in cash for the part-time work. Full-time work is compensated through a cheque.
Kindly suggest if I need to get more documents.
Also, I would like to state how much your reply means to me. I was so worried. I wish you all the best for your future.

Reactions: CAsharma

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Hello!

Was your part-time work paid? If yes, then you can use it.

The rules are here:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/eligibility/federal-skilled-workers.html#skilled

Your skilled work experience must be:

• in the same type of job (have the same NOC) as the job you want to use for your immigration application (called your primary occupation)
  • within the last 10 years
  • paid work (This means you must have been paid wages or earned commission. Volunteer work or unpaid internships don’t count.)
  • at least 1 year of continuous work or 1,560 hours total (30 hours per week). You can meet this in a few different ways:
    • full-time at 1 job: 30 hours/week for 12 months = 1 year full time (1,560 hours)
    • equal amount in part-time: 15 hours/week for 24 months = 1 year full time (1,560 hours)
    • full-time at more than 1 job: 30 hours/week for 12 months at more than 1 job = 1 year full time (1,560 hours)
For part-time work, you can work more or less than 15 hours/week as long as it adds up to 1,560 hours.

We don’t count any hours you work above 30 hours/week.

Nikhilesh11

Jul 26, 2019
Was your part-time work paid? If yes, then you can use it.

The rules are here:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/eligibility/federal-skilled-workers.html#skilled

Your skilled work experience must be:

• in the same type of job (have the same NOC) as the job you want to use for your immigration application (called your primary occupation)
  • within the last 10 years
  • paid work (This means you must have been paid wages or earned commission. Volunteer work or unpaid internships don’t count.)
  • at least 1 year of continuous work or 1,560 hours total (30 hours per week). You can meet this in a few different ways:
    • full-time at 1 job: 30 hours/week for 12 months = 1 year full time (1,560 hours)
    • equal amount in part-time: 15 hours/week for 24 months = 1 year full time (1,560 hours)
    • full-time at more than 1 job: 30 hours/week for 12 months at more than 1 job = 1 year full time (1,560 hours)
For part-time work, you can work more or less than 15 hours/week as long as it adds up to 1,560 hours.

We don’t count any hours you work above 30 hours/week.
Yes, my part-time work was paid in cash and my employer gave me a salary certificate along with salary slips. It is also mentioned on my experience letter.

mbaleine

Mar 13, 2019
I just provided a detailed work experience letter on my employer’s letterhead and signed by both of my supervisors. In addition to following IRCC’s requirements regarding the letter down to the word, the letter also had a little table giving an overview of my work schedule — showing that I went back and forth between full- and part-time, and that the employment was continuous. (I don’t think the table is strictly necessary, but I think it makes it clearer).

Feel free to provide more documents. Some might say the more the merrier. Just ensure that everything is organized and clear, and makes sense. But IMO by far the most important is a letter from your employer that meets the specs and covers the info required by IRCC.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Mohit Sauda

May 1, 2019
Hi guys, not sure from where I should start. Here’s my situation:
Working full time food service supervisor in Nova Scotia since January 7th 2020. But due to covid 19 some weeks I worked less than 15 hours a week and some week more than 30 hours a week.
from August 1st now I’m working at 2 restaurants under same employer but different company name. Same tittle good service supervisor 13 hours at one restaurant and 18 hours at other restaurant. I’m planing to apply Nova Scotia experience express entry pnp. How should I represent my case to immigration officers to avoid rejection. Please guide me friends.

Dip2808

Jul 31, 2020
Hi guys, not sure from where I should start. Here’s my situation:
Working full time food service supervisor in Nova Scotia since January 7th 2020. But due to covid 19 some weeks I worked less than 15 hours a week and some week more than 30 hours a week.
from August 1st now I’m working at 2 restaurants under same employer but different company name. Same tittle good service supervisor 13 hours at one restaurant and 18 hours at other restaurant. I’m planing to apply Nova Scotia experience express entry pnp. How should I represent my case to immigration officers to avoid rejection. Please guide me friends.
Hey MOHIT,
LET ME KNOW IF YOU FIND ANY ANSWER

yoshitaas

Star Member
Jun 24, 2020
Hello!

HI
@Nikhilesh11 I am in a similar situation. I have worked on a job from 30th october 2017 to 5th october 2018 22 hours per week. Would my hours be counted according to 22 hours per week? Or 15 hours per week? How did it go for you?
And how was your work experience calculated? Was it my months like entered in express entry system? Or was it date by date? Please help as I am really confused about this.