+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Closed work permit, PR application in process, possible job layoff, suggestions? (QC)

Pepsi_one

Mar 23, 2020
Hello, I am writing from Montreal. My partner is on a closed work permit for a job that will probably let her go in the near future due to COVID-19 affecting the company. She is in the process of getting her PR but it is still 14 months away.

What will her options be if she is let go from her job? Will she able to go on EI?
Are there any programs in place for this specific situation?
I understand that she can find a new job, but that will require another closed work permit and the process takes several months (which will probably only go up with the current situation).

I can only imagine that there are many people who will end up in this same situation, I would like to know if we have a definitive answer yet on what could be the outcome for them.

Thank you for your time!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello, I am writing from Montreal. My partner is on a closed work permit for a job that will probably let her go in the near future due to COVID-19 affecting the company. She is in the process of getting her PR but it is still 14 months away.

What will her options be if she is let go from her job? Will she able to go on EI?
Are there any programs in place for this specific situation?
I understand that she can find a new job, but that will require another closed work permit and the process takes several months (which will probably only go up with the current situation).

I can only imagine that there are many people who will end up in this same situation, I would like to know if we have a definitive answer yet on what could be the outcome for them.

Thank you for your time!
Yes - she can go on EI.

Apart from that, there are no specific programs that have been announced at this time. Possible there may be in the future - but unknown.

Reactions: Pepsi_one

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes - she can go on EI.

Apart from that, there are no specific programs that have been announced at this time. Possible there may be in the future - but unknown.
If she is on a closed work permit and can't look for other employment would she qualify for EI?